The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Putting action results in notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Let me try not to take part in OF design. That's being handled much better by the Omni gurus.
Since I practically live in OmniFocus, the execution of many of my actions consists of filling action-notes with work results and links to files/folders. Even this posting is written in the notes of an action "make post to OF forum about way of working". That may be wrong usage or bad GTD, but seems so convenient and (almost perfectly) supported.
Some problems that i still find with this - home grown - workflow are:

•*when an action completes, the action-note is going to end up in the archive after some time. This is not where i want results to go. Sometimes i copy the text from action-notes to the project-notes, as a kind of "save work" operation. The projects then serves as an "accumulator" of action results.
• when i receive material like files (from mail attachments etc.) in some download folder, i would like to drag/link to them from new or existing actions/projects, and THEN put these incoming files into some relatively unorganized final destination OS X folder. But then, when later referencing the file from OF, i often must re-link them because the files are moved.

Can anybody advise a different way of working; could this be adressed in future OF versions? I expect though, that many may consider it not ok to put work results in action-notes.

I don't have a solution for this, but also feel there is a hole in my workflow with the notes. Especially things that I want to keep for future reference.

Maybe there could be a reference or notes section in OF. when a project is completed, the notes could be scavenged and placed into the reference section of OF. The project is archived, but the notes remain.

Having a notes section that is searchable would be very helpful. Also would be nice to have a way to review notes so I can go through and manually delete them.

Currently, I use Evernote for all my reference type of notes. There can be a disconnect between the project I am working on in OmniFocus and Evernote. I would love to use OF for notes and reference, but don't feel it's the tool for the job... yet.

Count me in! Some of my projects contain several pages of notes that can be easily re-usable with minor modifications. I'd love to see a notes section or reference section that would store my notes. Maybe something with a very basic tagging system and a basic subset of OmniOutliner could be built into the notes ... man, I'd love that :)