The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects vs. Nested Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering under what circumstances people are using projects and actions, and under what circumstances people find it better to use Actions and sub-actions/nested actions?

Obviously when you want to have projects with actions and sub-actions that makes sense, but are there any other situations? Would really like to hear people's ideas on this!

I have single-action Projects labeled @Admin > SOMETHING that are just lists of tasks for a given folder. In some cases, these Projects function as my catch-all bins to hold actions that have yet to be fully fleshed to projects. That often occurs when I find that I have to subdivide a given action in the @Admin. I pull that out as a separate Project.

Action groups inside of a project allow me to specify slightly more complicated logic about the relationship of actions, like having some sequential steps mixed in with some parallel ones.

For example, planning an event, I might need to prepare the food in a specific sequence (plan, shop, do prep work, do day-of cooking), but I can invite my guests in parallel (and in parallel with the food prep).

Project: Host Turkey Dinner (parallel)
- Action Group: Invite Guests (parallel)
- Action Group: Prepare the Feast (sequential)

Or you could decide that you need to do all the inviting before you start doing any thinking about the food. (If Aunt Mildred comes, she'll insist on bringing the pies, cousin Joey is lactose-intolerant...)

Project: Host Turkey Dinner (sequential)

Or maybe you're the sort who has to know everything is all planned out before you can invite anyone:

Project: Host Turkey Dinner (sequential)
- Plan Meal
- Plan Cleaning
- Clean