The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to work with in-progress items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I'm not going to work on an action anytime soon, but I don't want to hide it permanently, I'll set the Start Date to a time when I might reasonably actually work on it. I'm not sure if if this is an approved-of practice, but it's what I do. :)

If, on the other hand, I have an action that's conceptually simple enough to be a single action, but too time-consuming to do in one sitting, I'll make it a repeating action. ("Spend twenty minutes reading _GTD Primer_.", set to Start Again in two days, for example.)

Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
See Dan Byler's excellent Defer script for pushing items off.
Thanks very much, this works great!

However, I am now at home and want to see my due items but not my work items, a bit like the inverse of focussing on my work items.

Is it possible to exclude them from a view, I can't see how to do this? The only way I can think is going to every sub project under work, put it on hold and then use 'active' only in my view.

(Apologies if this is a basic question, this is only my first week using it).

____
Mark

Last edited by mmb32; 2010-03-18 at 01:20 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb32 View Post
However, I am now at home and want to see my due items but not my work items, a bit like the inverse of focussing on my work items.

Is it possible to exclude them from a view, I can't see how to do this? The only way I can think is going to every sub project under work, put it on hold and then use 'active' only in my view.
You can use the Focus capability for this. For example, I have a Work folder and a Personal folder, and a whole bunch of folders and projects under each one. In Projects mode, I can click on the Personal folder, go up to the View menu, and select Focus On Personal. Then when I go to Context view, that focus still holds, and all of my work stuff is hidden.

When I want to see everything again, I can choose Show All Projects.

You can save perspectives that include focus settings, so that you don't have to do a lot of setup work each time. And if you have things that you want to see either way, in work or personal mode, you can have a folder for those as well, and include that folder in both perspectives.

Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener2 View Post
You can use the Focus capability for this. For example, I have a Work folder and a Personal folder, and a whole bunch of folders and projects under each one. In Projects mode, I can click on the Personal folder, go up to the View menu, and select Focus On Personal. Then when I go to Context view, that focus still holds, and all of my work stuff is hidden.

Gardener
I was thinking more of using say the 'due' perspective where it lists all by context so that I can now focus on office and that works great, BUT` there is no inverse 'not office' context for me to see everything but the office actions. I have just tried it out and yes, by using the cmd key I can multi select only those contexts I want so it sort of works ;-)

Quick update Saturday - well I am still struggling with perspectives and trying to find useful ones, they tend to show too much stuff (esp Miscellaneous folder!) or not enough.

When I look at due or flagged (built-in) then I am seeing all my work stuff which I dont want to do when at home. What I have now done is to set 'Work' items to 'On Hold' status so that they dont show up in Today's items (and rthen remember to set it back to active when at work).

It is a pity there is no exclude filter as well (e.g. exclude all work context or foldes named 'xxxxx'). Maybe I should post a feature request and see what support respond.

___
Mark

Last edited by mmb32; 2010-03-20 at 01:35 AM..