The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logging OmniFocus done items to DayOne through Hazel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Version 5:

Starts a fresh already logged file every day.

This is incredible - thank you for creating it! One question - would it be possible to modify the script to log everything in a single Day One entry?

I was able to install this and make it work, but I don't have the scripting skills to do this ;)

I don't think that the Day One interface allows you to direct different logging episodes to a single entry, but you could edit the Hazel settings to just log once, at the end of the day.

What a great addition to OF!

The script itself seems to be working just fine but maybe you can help me out with a few remaining questions I have.

I've copied the code from your site an pasted it in Hazel since I couldn't find a way to download it as a sh file. How can I get it as a file so I have a back-up?

You mentioned a Done button appearing in DO. I don't seem to have that. Was it removed?

You also mention a link back from DO to OF. Don't seem to have that either. Where should it be?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guus View Post
How can I get it as a file so I have a back-up?
A .sh file is just a text file, so a simple paste and save will do.

Quote:
You mentioned a Done button appearing in DO.
Just the standard DayOne interface:

Quote:
Don't seem to have that either. Where should it be?
The trailing colon of the project line is a clickable url link.

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 21.27.37.png
Views:	1420
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2707  

Last edited by RobTrew; 2013-02-08 at 12:38 PM..

Thanks for your help Rob.

I tried saving it in TextEdit in a plain text file and that works ok (sh-extension and icon), but in Hazel I can't select it. Should I edit something in the properties of the file or does it has to be in a certain folder?

The Done-button was there this morning. I guess it only appears once in the morning. Now it's gone again.

If you mean a clickable URL in DO, it isn't there. I've checked both the main overview (all items) and the individual items but it's just not there.

I'll try an post a screenshot of what my DO looks like.

Guus

Quote:
in Hazel I can't select it. Should I edit something in the properties of the file or does it has to be in a certain folder?
You can just paste the script in (embedded script option) or browse to any folder, for the file.

Quote:
The Done-button was there this morning. I guess it only appears once in the morning. Now it's gone again.
It shows in edit mode – just click edit to get it back.

Quote:
If you mean a clickable URL in DO, it isn't there. I've checked both the main overview (all items) and the individual items but it's just not there.
The final colon of the project line should be coloured turquoise – a clickable link.

--
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BrowseThruOther-1.png
Views:	1410
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2708   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClickEdit.png
Views:	1409
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	2709   Click image for larger version

Name:	TurquoiseLink.png
Views:	1394
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2710  

Incidentally, clicking edit (see previous post) should reveal the link, in MarkDown format.

(Moving the opening square bracket further back will enlarge the clickable area. This may give an insight into how the source code could be modified to make the whole project line into a link. I don't do that myself because I find that turquoise colour a little over-saturated :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EditLink.png
Views:	1372
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2711  

Thanks for all your help! Two of three solved!

My DO is set to open in Last View. That's why I didn't see the Done button at first. Now I know where to find it!

The semicolon with URL is there too. I simply overlooked it. :-(

I have the script embedded and it works fine. I just would prefer to use it as a files so it will be in my backup. These internal things have a way of being overlook when reinstalling stuff.

The problem remains that when in Hazel I can't select the file in the finder, it's grayed-out. Also tried moving it from downloads to documents and logged in as admin but it isn't working. I pasted the same script in TextEdit and saved it in plain text. Removed the txt-extension so only the sh-extension remains. The file still wants to open with TextEdit, maybe that should be changed to something else? Terminal?

Quote:
in Hazel I can't select the file in the finder, it's grayed-out.
To ungray it in the Hazel dialog you need to make the .sh text file executable.
  • Open Terminal.app
  • On the bash command line, type
    Code:
    chmod +x
    (followed by a space)
  • Drag and drop the .sh file from a Finder window to the Terminal window

You should now be looking at something analogous to:

Code:
chmod +x /Users/houthakker/Desktop/test.sh
and if you hit the enter key, the file will be made executable, and should now be shown as ungrayed and selectable in the Hazel dialog.

--