The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can someone please explain bookmark synchronization to me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have enabled bookmark synchronization on three Macs. I've chosen on one Mac to copy the local bookmarks to the iDisk, and on the others to take the bookmarks from the iDisk.

Is it now only possible to change the bookmarks on the server (i.e. those that the other Macs will get) from the one that I've chosen to copy local bookmarks to my iDisk?

What exactly happens when I now chose the synchronize command from the bookmarks menu?

Is it possible to change the bookmarks on any Mac, copy the changes to the iDisk and get them on all other Macs?

I'm a bit confused here. :-)

Last edited by martin; 2006-06-28 at 03:34 AM..

Once you have all your machines synchronizing to the server, any changes you make locally should be uploaded by OmniWeb automatically (you can also use the manual option found in the bookmarks menu).

Once a change is uploaded, when you launch OmniWeb on your other machines it should reach out and grab those changes and add them to the local bookmarks.

So yes, it should be possible to make a change on machine 1, and then see the changes on machine 2 and 3.

Hello,

I am using Omniweb 5.5 Beta 1. I have turned on bookmark synchronization on two macs using .Mac. However, it does not seem to be working. Are there any tricks to try to fix it?

Thank you,

It plainly doesn't work. Hasn't for a long time. Broken.

The only way I can get it to work is to add then remove the syncing in preferences/bookmarks. You are then asked the question as to whether you want to keep local bookmarks and upload them to the server or to download server bookmarks.

What happens for me is that if I add a bookmark locally and do nothing, that bookmark is ultimately deleted and replaced by the server bookmarks. If I right-click on the bookmarks file in OmniWeb bookmarks and select 'synchronise now' the same thing happens and the sync process carries on and on and on sending lots of info across the network but seemingly doing nothing.

It is the *only* thing now stopping me from using OmniWeb full-time. I use Camino with Camitools which allow me to sync manually using an ftp site.

Strange, it works fine for me. I'm not using .Mac though, just WebDAV. You guys are putting bookmarks into the Shared Bookmarks folder, correct?

I am using a regular WebDAV folder too.

Shared folder? No - didn't think that was necessary - it's not the case with Safari, Firefox or Camino.

I want to sync my 'Personal Bookmarks' and 'Favorites' - how does that work with Shared? OmniWeb won't allow me to create the two folders inside the shared folder.

I'm trying to sync bookmarks accross two macs whether in or out of the local network - I thought shared bookmarks simply meant they are shared on the local network.

Now I am confused!

The Shared bookmarks folder isn't for synchronisation - it is for broadcasting your bookmarks in the Shared folder via Bonjour to Macs on the local network (like the same function in iTunes and iPhoto).

For your WebDAV sharing, have you put in the correct path in the preferences? From the OmniWeb help:

Use a WebDAV server: If you do not have .Mac from Apple but you do have access to a WebDAV server, choose this option and enter the sever address in the field, including the full path to the folder where OmniWeb should store the bookmark files.

I use .Mac and have never had an issue myself, though I use the feature very, very infrequently (as it only comes into effect when I get a new Mac or visit my brother!).

This is how I understood the shared bookmarks feature.

JKT and Forrest, assuming you have some remote bookmarks on a WebDAV server just add a new bookmark to the favorites bar in OmniWeb, then go the the bookmarks panel and right-click on Favorites to sync. If the bookmark doesn't instantly disappear, try syncing on another Mac and see if it does then.

Hmm, how does this work?

1.) Turn off bookmark syncing on both computers.
2.) Turn Bookmark syncing on for the first *master* computer.
3.) Turn syncing on for the second computer, making sure you choose to use bookmarks on the remote server.
4.) Quit the unused copy of OmniWeb
5.) Save a bookmark in the active copy of OmniWeb and quit.
6.) Restart the other copy of OmniWeb. Do you get the saved bookmark? What if you do a manual check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Hmm, how does this work?

1.) Turn off bookmark syncing on both computers.
2.) Turn Bookmark syncing on for the first *master* computer.
3.) Turn syncing on for the second computer, making sure you choose to use bookmarks on the remote server.
4.) Quit the unused copy of OmniWeb
5.) Save a bookmark in the active copy of OmniWeb and quit.
6.) Restart the other copy of OmniWeb. Do you get the saved bookmark? What if you do a manual check?
Well, I tried this and it worked. Bookmark synching seems to be working like a dream now. Thanks a lot.

Omni Group is omnificent.