The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trouble pasting Chrome links/URLs [Known issue: see thread for workaround.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I found a workaround that is a bit less painful. There is a Chrome plugin called "goo.gl URL Shortener" which when clicked creates a Google short URL for you and automatically places it on your clipboard. From there, you can just paste as usual into Omnifocus.

Here is a direct link to the plugin: https://chrome.google.com/extensions...ckljiocdbnlagk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It looks like chrome uses a Rich Text field for their address bar - as far as I know, every other browser uses plain text for that field. (Presumably, this is so they can present the scheme portion of the URL in grey, while the rest of the address is in black.)

It looks like the pasting code gets confused by this. I'll file this as something we need to try and work around in the future. Thanks for letting us know about the problem!

It does look like OmniFocus' clipping feature handles content from the address bar in Chrome, though. You get the page title as the name of the action, with a link back to the page in the note field. Does that work for your purposes?
I have just gone from mac mail to gmail and find gmail is better on Chrome than safari for a bunch of reasons. Sadly though the elegance of the omni clipping service in Safari ie - highlighting text on a web page, hitting my shortcut key, and have the quick entry box appear with highlighted text as the title with the url in notes - doesn't happen in chrome.

Several features in Chrome eg a plugin that allows css in email signatures don't exist in safari. I can't take advantage because the ease of clipping gmails via safari is too valuable to me to lose. If you guys can fix it I for one would be really grateful.

Simple bug / issue that I'm running into.

In chrome, copy a url out of the bar.

Open quick-entry pane, and paste the url. Nothing shows up. Anything with an http:// at the beginning gets swallowed and disappears.

Pasting from Firefox does work though.

What's going on with pasting from chrome?

I'm combining this thread with a previous one on the problem; wanted to let you know in your thread before I did that, though. :-)

Thank you for merging the threads, I didn't see this when I posted initially.

It looks like Omnifocus doesn't have a fix for this yet, but there are a few workarounds? Most notably the paste-matching-style finger contortion?

Another update - it appears like the Google Chrome Betas (identifiable because the URL bar doesn't include the scheme (http:// part). The direct copy/paste now works as expected.

You won't auto-update into the betas from the released version, you have to go download them directly from google to grab it. It has been 100% stable for me.