The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Future of OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Keep checking back a couple of times a week hoping to see a reply or at least an update…

Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDee View Post
Keep checking back a couple of times a week hoping to see a reply or at least an update…

Oh, well.
Why don't you just go to WebKit directly? Always choose the latest build and you have all the security and speed of Safari - even before Safari gets there with the Apple releases - and it is the engine that OmniWeb uses anyway. Do read the first ten or so comments on the WebKit page - they make it quite clear how to use it (it runs all of your Safari stuff - as is).

http://nightly.webkit.org/

I just don't want to give up on OW. It is still the best browser on OSX - in principle. Unfortunately the current version crashes far too often, thus I desparately wait for a new version.

Maybe we should set up a donation system via paypal through which we can collect money to allow developer allocation on OW at Omni? I'd be willing spend as much as I paid for OmniGraffle if I knew that there will be some progress within the next few months...

As mentioned earlier, I don't mind paying for a tool I use almost all day at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbert View Post
I just don't want to give up on OW.
Me neither. It is so efficient on older machines. I imagine that it would "fly" on newer ones.

Quote:
It is still the best browser on OSX - in principle. Unfortunately the current version crashes far too often, thus I desparately wait for a new version.
Very stable here, on an old black Macbook. Which is your machine?

Quote:
Maybe we should set up a donation system via paypal through which we can collect money to allow developer allocation on OW at Omni? I'd be willing spend as much as I paid for OmniGraffle if I knew that there will be some progress within the next few months...

As mentioned earlier, I don't mind paying for a tool I use almost all day at work.
Well, I cannot pretend that I know how this business works, but years ago Omniweb was shareware. I am one of those who paid for it. So, perhaps Omni Group could consider going back to that model? Just a thought.

But please, whatever you do, don't let it die. OmniWeb, even after all these years of web browser development for the Macintosh, is simply the one with the best quality. It may have some small quirks here and there, easy to fix, but overall is second to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
…Well, I cannot pretend that I know how this business works, but years ago Omniweb was shareware. I am one of those who paid for it. So, perhaps Omni Group could consider going back to that model? Just a thought…
Yup. I paid $29.95 for OW4 and $9.95 for an upgrade to 5 and would happily do so again.

Unfortunately, ever since Microsoft first gave away IE to the masses there are very few people nowadays prepared to pay for a browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekJAB View Post
Yup. I paid $29.95 for OW4 and $9.95 for an upgrade to 5 and would happily do so again.

Unfortunately, ever since Microsoft first gave away IE to the masses there are very few people nowadays prepared to pay for a browser.
Unless, of course, it's the best browser money can buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Unless, of course, it's the best browser money can buy.
I don't know. With the development of web today, it is inconceivable to pay for a web browser. It is up to Omni Group to imagine a situation where Omniweb would fit. If they can redesign it with a rich and advanced feature set (for example ssh/sftp sessions, some modern web development tools - remember Netscape Composer?) combined with intuitive and easy way of use, then probably they could justify charging for it. For such an effort to be successful, they need a good feeling on what people need or could need/use in their web life.

Another idea comes from iSkysoft's video converter. In fact, it has a built-in web browser. In the beginning I thought that it was just for the YouTube videos but when I threw it Google and some other web sites, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it could handle almost everything. I don't see of course how such an idea would work in the case of Omniweb. But who knows? Maybe it can.

It is difficult to say. Personally I'd say that there's more of a market for a commercial browser on OSX than on other platforms. Let's take a look: Safari is pretty minimalistic, may be OK for most people, but definitely not for me. Opera has been too unstable and too resource-hungry ever since I switched from Linux to OSX, and as they're redoing most of it now we simply cannot anticipate what will come out in the end. Camino is pretty minimalistic again, Firefox too slow and not really integrated into OSX's GUI, finally Google Chrome is fast and stable but unusable for large sets of tabs due to its lack of workspaces and vertical tabs. This is why I still use OW despite of its lack of stability and its rather antique rendering engine.

Now the only question is - how many more people like myself are out there?

A year is a long time - goodness, regimes change in less time. Space is explored. New Galaxies have been discovered. The earth's tectonic plates move faster than OmniWeb updates. Not a good look.

The idea of which is much the same as it is in Safari and Mozilla-based browsers, but the visual presentation is quite different
The advantage to OmniWeb’s presentation is when you use the thumbnail view, use,I like tabbed-browsing in general, and I like the Omni Group’s implementation,