The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laying out an organizational chart Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having problems here. I want to fit the chart onto a single sheet of paper. It's quite wide so even in landscape mode the boxes need quite a lot of organization to fit everything in. If I leave it to OmniGraffle to do it then when the boxes at level 3 extend towards the right hand edge, the connectors from level 2 get tangled up. If I pull the boxes around manually, then the next time I add a box or try to get OmniGraffle to tidy things up, it makes the most incredible spaghetti – total nonsense. Help!

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a large org chart that is taking up a lot of space in the horizontal but little space in the vertical. This is due to the autolayout feature of the Diagram Style function. If I manually change the layout to have multiple columns underneath one parent (to use vertical space more efficiently) then I can't add any new employees with having to manually reorganize the entire chart.

This appears to be a MAJOR limitation of this product vs products like MS' Org Chart product.

How do I deal with this?

You can layout individual layers or selected objects individually, so you could turn off autolayout, and put new objects on a new layer and see if that works.

However, that would be a good feature request "Fit layout to n pages" where n is a user selectable number of pages.