The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i love the program, it fits a niche i needed. but at this point, i expected more out of the printing. there is no regards to margins, cuts to another page without regard to the text, add spaces in the middle of words, and cuts off the top of some header so i can't read it. there is no way to control how it prints (say preferences). this is my only complaint about a terrific program.

(i'm working on today's release)

I would agree that printing is not ready for prime time, but there are ways to control the printing. The Page Setup dialog includes per perspective printing options. Not all of them work yet, but there are several there.

Curt

I assume all these problems have been reported via Send Feedback. Some folks are having trouble with the row/note expansion, but I've not been able to reproduce it myself, so more details are needed.

Like a lot of other folks, I'm trying to print my Errands list on 3x5 cards. I set up page setup to do it, and I'm now printing 3x5 cards successfully.

But... the type size is tiny. I printed out a sample on US Letter to compare, and I'm not quite sure what it's doing, as the header ("Perspective: Errands list, 12/3/07 4:27 PM") is exactly the same size (looks like about 9 pt) on both the letter and index card. But the headings, about 30pt on letter, are about 8pt on the index card, and the actions, about 18pt on letter, is about 7pt on the index card.

It looks like it's keeping the header the same, but scaling down the rest of the content from the letter size. I'd really rather it didn't scale—I can only barely read these index cards in good light, which kind of defeats the purpose of a HPDA—but instead just use more lines (and even more paper if necessary). Some awareness of the output size, say, a scale-down to 11 pt type, would be nice, but this is ridiculous. Better, IMHO, to not scale down at all, even though just 3 headers and 3 actions would then fill a 3x5 card--at least they'd be readable then.

Any suggestions for fixing this, or is this a feature request?

OmniFocus tries to obey the layout you have specified in your perspective within some constraints.

First, if the width you have specified via sizing your columns is too wide for the paper, we'll re-wrap the title column down until either it hits its minimum width or the display width fits in the paper.

Second, if it still doesn't fit, we'll scale the image down so that it does.

Finally, we'll apply the scaling set up in Page Setup.

So, if your type is too small for your liking a couple things you can try are:

- Make sure you are printing with the text running the long way on the paper (so you might want 5x3 instead of 3x5).

- Make sure you either hide or resize columns to a smaller size. OmniFocus will only adjust the width of the title column -- if you have a huge Project column, we'll leave that alone.

- If you are only printing remaining actions, turn off the checkbox printing.

Hopefully these suggestions will help improve what you are seeing. If not, feel free to submit a sample file and Perspectives folder showing how you have things set up so we can try to improve what we are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
- Make sure you are printing with the text running the long way on the paper (so you might want 5x3 instead of 3x5).
No way... For two years doing GTD I've been using 3x5 cards in portrait mode, and I have binders and accordion folders and pockets and who knows what else based around that. Not to mention I have a box of 2000 index cards with lines going the short way, see below :)

I've used other programs (including OmniOutliner) successfully to print 3x5 cards with text going the short way, I don't see any reason to switch to landscape mode with OF.

Quote:
- Make sure you either hide or resize columns to a smaller size. OmniFocus will only adjust the width of the title column -- if you have a huge Project column, we'll leave that alone.

- If you are only printing remaining actions, turn off the checkbox printing.
Ok, that's it. See the attachments. "before.jpg" had the Start, Estimate, and Due date columns turned on:

"after.jpg" doesn't:

"after" is just fine for my shopping list. "before" was illegible.

Incidentally, turning off checkbox printing (in Page Setup, "Include: Completion checkboxes") doesn't seem to do anything. But that's ok, the checkboxes take up a pretty negligible amount of space (and I'll use them to check off my chores anyway).

BUT... Now you're saying I have six menu → submenu drags to add to every print operation? I.e.,
  1. View → Columns → Estimate
  2. View → Columns → Start Date
  3. View → Columns → Due Date
  4. Now I can print
  5. View → Columns → Estimate
  6. View → Columns → Start Date
  7. View → Columns → Due Date
every time I want to print? Uggggh....

Can column settings be added to perspectives? Then I could make my Errands perspective not have the Estimate, Start Date, and Due Date columns, and all my other perspectives will continue to have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	408   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	409  

Column visibility on perspectives is a FANTASTIC idea. I make minimal use of start/due dates, but sometimes I really want to see that stuff.

Also, printing-wise, I'd love to see a PagePacker-formatted printing option. Hey, I can dream, right?

Gak! Column visibility was supposed to be in perspectives, but apparently I'm a doofus and left it in global preferences. Thanks for the reminder.

OK, this is in as of 95711. This was rather more work than I thought it would be =)

If you notice any oddities with column visibility or sizing throughout the app, let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
OK, this is in as of 95711. This was rather more work than I thought it would be =)

If you notice any oddities with column visibility or sizing throughout the app, let us know.
Very nice! Thanks!