The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First Time Sync Issue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Folks,

Bought iPhone app a week or so ago, just tried syncing to my Mac - no luck.
Am using Mobile me, and, AFAIK, that sync went ok.

Have iPhone on same wireless network, and went to sync there for the first time. It gave me a message that the data bases didn't match, and asked if I wanted to use the one on Mobile Me, or the local one - I had not entered anything into the phone.... so I got a bit confused, and tapped local, when I should have tapped 'the data base on the server'.

Now, what's the best way to fix this so that my data on Mobile me and my Mac get onto the iPhone?

TIA
LLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfudold View Post
Hi Folks,

Bought iPhone app a week or so ago, just tried syncing to my Mac - no luck.
Am using Mobile me, and, AFAIK, that sync went ok.
I'm taking this to mean that your mac was able to sync to MobileMe. If you mean something else, disregard this message...
Quote:
Have iPhone on same wireless network, and went to sync there for the first time. It gave me a message that the data bases didn't match, and asked if I wanted to use the one on Mobile Me, or the local one - I had not entered anything into the phone.... so I got a bit confused, and tapped local, when I should have tapped 'the data base on the server'.
Yes, you only take local if that's where you've made the most recent changes. But you realize that already...
Quote:
Now, what's the best way to fix this so that my data on Mobile me and my Mac get onto the iPhone?
Well, if you told it to use the remote/server copy when you did the iPhone sync, what is on your phone has been written back to MobileMe. Whenever you do a sync, the client doing the sync reads what is on the server, merges it appropriately with its local changes, then writes it all back out to the server. What you need is to have your Mac do a sync and write its data back to MobileMe and let the iPhone get it from there. The easiest way to arrange this is to simply move aside the Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus file on MobileMe and have the Mac do another sync. BE SURE that you answer "local" to the question of which copy to use. In fact, I'd probably tell OmniFocus to make a backup (File->Back Up Database...) before doing this, just to be safe. That should result in your Mac's data being written to MobileMe, and another sync by your iPhone should bring it to the phone. In the case of the iPhone sync, you'll want to take the remote copy.

Heh,

This turned out to be easier than I expected. I went to me.com, in an attempt to follow the advice above, 'move aside the Documents/OF.ofocus file. Couldn't figure out how to 'move it aside', so I though I'd just delete it, and resync. Hit the delete button, nothing happens.
So, I opened the OF file on my iPhone, and, surprise surprise, it again offered me the option of syncing with the file on 'the server'. Hit the button, it works and is synced.

Thank you!

PS - I'd still love more screen casts on the various 'how to' aspects. Don McAlister is great, if you could get him to do more.....