The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

tasks and stuff Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Or should I say Stuff and Tasks.

When I look at my Task Pane in Project View list I see lists of subtasks that could be characterized as Stuff with Actions as children. Working fine, for now.

But I'd like to know what other people are seeing when they look at their Task Pane in Project View.

Also, what are people doing about lists of Things vs lists of Tasks. For example, a Folder called "Shopping" might have a Project called "Grocery" but then does the list contain the Tasks "create shopping list" and "go shopping" or does it contain a list of the Things to buy?

In general, I'd like to keep my list of Things out of OF, but it's so tempting to have it double as an outliner. I see in the micro-manual it's actually called a list of Actions, but discussion here and fuzziness in my own head have us talking about Tasks.

There are implications here for how I will carry my list of Things around on my PDA (for when I'm at the grocery store, for example, because I left the house to shop when OF told me that was the next action) but it's also about being true enough to GTD so that it actually works.

I mix them.

So in my Daughter's SF Con Costume" Project, I'll have the Task: list materials needed. But under the sub-task Purchase Materials, I'll have each item be a task, so I can check them off as I buy them. Furthermore, if I haven't bought something, it will show up in purple as a Next Action, meaning I have to get this item before I can move forward.

Of course, if I'm doing something that has lots of this type of thing, I'll link to an outline. I have an outline I've refined over the years for Kid birthday parties -- since it contains spaces for guest lists, RSVP check boxes, and grocery lists, OmniOutliner is a better way for me to keep this info.

--Liz

Looking forward to having the ability to link to files and emails....that will help enormously in what you outline...ahem.