The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Still Long Sync on iPhone... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not nearly enough data to say, which is why I recommend people talk to the support ninjas. A small database with 30 zip files won't sync at the same speed as a large database with 30 zip files when a compaction needs to take place, and two identical databases won't sync at the same speed if one is using WiFi with a good uplink and one is using an overloaded EDGE or even 3G connection. The latency of the WebDAV server also plays a role.

It would be interesting to see the results of running "Speed Test" or similar apps immediately before or after these minute-long syncs being reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Not nearly enough data to say, which is why I recommend people talk to the support ninjas. A small database with 30 zip files won't sync at the same speed as a large database with 30 zip files when a compaction needs to take place, and two identical databases won't sync at the same speed if one is using WiFi with a good uplink and one is using an overloaded EDGE or even 3G connection. The latency of the WebDAV server also plays a role.

It would be interesting to see the results of running "Speed Test" or similar apps immediately before or after these minute-long syncs being reported.
I've tried the support ninjas with this in the past and got nowhere.

The info you seek: WiFi on an 8mb down, 1mb up line, using MobileMe.

I also have the same problem here. Syncs take 50 seconds approximately. I have 14 zip files and 49 actions! I am using mobile me.

Last edited by raiko; 2009-10-01 at 06:26 AM..

My wifi:

Download Speed: 14958 kbps (1869.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 969 kbps (121.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

using mobile me..my airport extreme is literally 3 feet away from me..sitting at my desk syncing over wi-fi on my iphone 3GS takes a minute to a minute and a half. Even if I do nothing...just hit the sync button a second time..it still takes over a minute.

Often I notice the status bar has filled and disappeared but the logo is still spinning. The sync does seem to have finished. All very odd.

Hmm, everyone seems to have a better connection than I do, so that shouldn't be the issue (unless the iPhone is using the cellular connection and not the WiFi).

Call up the support ninjas and hold their feet to the fire. Ken and I are proof that big databases can sync quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Ken and I are proof that big databases can sync quickly.
My database is also rather large, at least in number of projects and actions. Syncing usually takes somewhere between 5-15 seconds, depending on my connection speed and number of outstanding changes.

334 projects
2171 actions
9 zip files
414 KB file size on disk (on Mac)
2 clients (MacBook Pro and iPhone 3GS)
3219 Kb/s download (measured on Mac)
11857 Kb/s upload (measured on Mac)

I tend to sync frequently (at least a couple times per day). I also have auto sync turned off so I can postpone syncing until I sleep the screen and slip my phone back into my pocket.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcma View Post
It defeats the purpose if I have a quick idea I want to add on the phone and I have wait almost 2 minutes for syncing to complete.
One thing I wanted to add here - folks don't need to wait for sync to finish if they want to add a new item. The "New Inbox Item" button is active right away.

This is not at all to say that we don't want to improve Frank or Ol!ver's sync times, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcma View Post
Are there any tips for now to speed up sync?
Just in case it helps, the "Make sure to use the Archive Old Data feature" tip on this page may help.

A lot of folks think that checking an item off removes it from the OmniFocus database, but that isn't actually the case. It just adds a "mark this action off" change to the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol!ver View Post
I've tried the support ninjas with this in the past and got nowhere.
Ol!ver, did the tickets come from the same email address that your forum subscription uses? The ninjas got pretty crushed by email immediately after the release of the iPhone application, which is when your tickets from that address came in. They'll respond much more quickly if you give them another try. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2009-09-30 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: trim quote to the part I was actually responding to. :-)