The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Besides OF, How Else Do You Implement GTD on Your Mac? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love OF, been using it for 2 months now. Bit by bit i've tweaked around some aspects to obviously get more done throughout my days.

I've included photos, mainly to show that i've created a folder with reoccuring projects such as laundry, cleaning the house, washing the car, etc. Also photos of the perspectives i've created. Easy views that show what NA's are available, what's recently been completed to see how much I have or haven't been slacking off and a "Today!" perspective which shows only my flagged items so I can just focus on those for the day.

But I don't think everyone lives just inside OF.

This is why I'm asking this question and am furthering my understand of how to not be lethargic. See, on some days i'll be kicking ass completing NA's left and right. While other days i'll complete no more than 3. Sure those 3 NA's moved a project forward but deep inside I know I slacked off a bit.

Aside from that, I've been mentally struggling when on my Mac. See, I thought about adding like a "Tickler File" folder on my dock. The reason, or thought behind this was a sort of Action Support folder that would house an alias folder of something i'm currently working on. The reason it's an iPod Touch icon is only cause I plan on getting a touch soon; to get the OF app.

But this isn't really working. I feel like something is missing outside of OF in order for me to easily tackle my NA's during my day. But then again, I could easily just be micro managing, looking for small little things like this to subconsciously prevent me from doing work.

I need to up the productivity. Lately it feel i'm not getting much done.

Your thoughts, suggestions, advice, tips are all appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	951  

I use other technology tools to implement my GTD workflow (iCal and OmniOutliner Pro to mention a couple), but they do not add anything to motivate me to stay active on my Next Actions list. Having a tickler file outside of OmniFocus to keep me motivated to work my next actions would be a disaster for me-I want all my actions in one list and all my calendar items in one calendar. It's too high maintenance to try and maintain multiple, stand-alone tools (not to be confused with multiple, integrated tools that sync).

Perhaps the best tool I have to do this is OmniFocus iPhone/iPod, and it sounds like you plan on getting one soon. I really plan primarily in OF Mac and work out of OF iPhone. I have OF parked in the iPhone's dock, and every time I view the phone the OF badge reminds me that I have tasks that I should be working on. It's also mobile of course, which means I'm on top of my tasks lists when I'm away from my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
This is why I'm asking this question and am furthering my understand of how to not be lethargic. See, on some days i'll be kicking ass completing NA's left and right. While other days i'll complete no more than 3. Sure those 3 NA's moved a project forward but deep inside I know I slacked off a bit.
My personal suggestion would be to look at the perspectives that give you a sense on how you're doing, and if you're doing ok, don't worry so much about whether you do less on some days than others. If you're just procrastinating and you're unhappy, then you should definitely change that; but I think that it is better to change it by having some non-work things that you can do that are more enriching than procrastinating in front of the computer when you're not engaged in your work. As long as you are not missing deadlines; are going at a pace that you are satisfied with; and are happy, what more could be asked for?

I use DevonThink Pro Office for my file references. Any articles that I might want to keep for future reference. DevonThink has an inbox so that you can put a whole batch of stuff in there to sort out later.

I use iCal for any tasks that have a hard deadline. This is following the GTD practice of putting anything with a due date on the calendar.....

I also use DEVONthink Pro as my personal database. I use OmniFocus and OmniOutliner as GTD and planning tools. I use iCal as my calendar. I recently added an iPhone to the mix so I'm currently experimenting with how all of these tools can best be utilized in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6821 View Post
I also use DEVONthink Pro as my personal database. I use OmniFocus and OmniOutliner as GTD and planning tools. I use iCal as my calendar. I recently added an iPhone to the mix so I'm currently experimenting with how all of these tools can best be utilized in my life.
I tried out the OF app at the Apple Store today and it looks great! I'm lugging around printed out perspectives in my backpack when all I want is a Touch with the OF app. Oh man.

In Gmail, any items that are to become actions are marked with a star and left in the inbox until I grab the pertinent info with my quick keys and stick it in omni. Once it's being tracked I archive it and label it appropriate to its counterpart in Omni projects. Once the action is complete I unflag it in Gmail.

Items to be filed that are electronic are emailed to my evernote account. Inside evernote, I use an A-Z notebook system for filing and then label them for additional access.

In the physical world I use a combination of tricks. I do maintain a physical tickler -- a "43 folder" type system for those things that come to my desk that are not ready to be filed but need to be looked by a certain time and look at that every day along with my 4 physical inboxes. I have one for people who want to give me something, I have one for things I generate that I am not ready to deal with (close to my desk, whereas the other is outside my office). I keep an inbox at my home desk for things that are going to be dealt with there and I keep a 3 sided pouch labeled mobile inbox in my brief case.

All these inboxes source the both the physical A-Z filing system in my office and home, the physical tickler and Evernote (via scanning).

I keep a brother labeler and readily file folders for physical items, though most of that stuff gets scanned.

Finally, on my ipad, I dislike the keyboarding and take daily notes in Dan Bricklin's Notetaker HD, and then output them via email and Notetaker strings right into their home notebook in Evernote. Any item that I write in a red pen is deemed actionable when I create it and will source Omni. I also scan for action items when I review my notes the next morning and source Omni.

I feel a bit redundant in maintaining so many scans of paper that is in my A-Z system, but don't see a way of completely going all electronic and don't want to go all paper.