The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle for iPad is $49.95? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My issue I guess is what I will find as an issue across all the iPad apps.
At $49.95 without any way to trial the application is what I worry about, I've wasted so much money on iPhone apps at $5 a pop, doing that at $50 makes me nervous.

The iTunes store reviews are pretty poor and can't really guide purchasing decisions.

If you guys are going to price your apps so high, please at least provide a 'light' version, trial version etc.

The other thing is upgrades. iWork apps for iPad are only $9.99, but Apple charges full prices for new versions of iWork (and iLife). Likewise, there is no upgrade policy (yet?) for iPhone/iPad apps. You have to buy new versions like everyone else. So $9.99 isn't absurdly cheap when you consider you'll pay that every time you upgrade.

So is OmniGraffle for iPad going to be $49.99 next time it gets upgraded? If there's no upgrade discount for iPad apps, how can it be otherwise?

There have been numerous upgrades for OmniFocus for iPhone/iPod touch. Total cost so far: $0.

Just jumping in to say that information on the features of the iPad application, as well as videos of it in action, are available in this new section of our website.

Especially when it comes to pricing stuff, I feel like I should defer to Ken, but there are some bits that I can comfortably contribute to the conversation.

We've put a lot of thought into our pricing: we think our iPad apps are a great value, offering the majority of the functionality of our corresponding Mac apps at only half the price.

We are huge fans of "try before you buy". OmniFocus for iPhone is currently installed on Apple Store demo units; we'd like to do the same with these apps if Apple is interested.

We want folks to have plenty of info when they consider a purchase. We will add more over time. Let us know what topics would be helpful in figuring out if the iPad apps will work for you.

The support ninjas are also available via email and phone. (800-315-6664 in North America) We'll be working over the launch weekend.

If you feel there's something missing from the iPad apps that would make them more valuable to you at the current price points, we'd love to know that. Adding features to our applications is something we like to do. :-)

We understand that different folks may have different needs. Folks that already have the Mac versions, for example, may look at the apps differently than the folks for whom this is their first purchase.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-04-02 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: fifth paragraph was awkward. fixed. :-)

Macworld has just done an article that folks may want to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
There have been numerous upgrades for OmniFocus for iPhone/iPod touch. Total cost so far: $0.
Omnifocus is at version 1.6.1. To the best of my knowledge, Omni always gives point release updates for free (thank you, Omni!). That's not what I'm talking about.

Brian: interesting review. I'm not sure why you're not separating into Pro and regular versions on the iPad (even though 2/3 of Mac customers buy the Pro version). It would seem you'd be missing out on the large number of casual users who might want to design a garden or a softball team web site or whatever. And in-app purchases would allow them to upgrade easily to a Pro version with layers and whatnot.

Maybe Omni is thinking that iPads will become more corporate than Apple is promoting right now, in which case a higher priced app makes more sense for you guys.

I guess I'll hold out for a Lite version (or some other consumer-oriented product). I'm looking for the equivalent of Photoshop Elements, not Photoshop CS. I'll stick to OmniGraffle on my Mac (which I love, btw). Guess I'm not your typical customer.

Last edited by Púca; 2010-04-02 at 04:17 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Púca View Post
Omnifocus is at version 1.6.1. To the best of my knowledge, Omni always gives point release updates for free (thank you, Omni!). That's not what I'm talking about.
Then you should be more specific in describing just what it is you are talking about :)

Major releases come with major price tags in Omni-land. Counter-balancing that is the fact that they don't come along very often, and Ken & Co. are pretty good about insisting that they stuff a lot of additional functionality in the apps via the free minor releases. Furthermore, unlike some vendors (I'm looking at you, FileMaker), they've been willing to let you skip releases without having to pay for them. Upgrading from an ancient copy of OmniGraffle 2 bundled with an old laptop to OmniGraffle Pro 5 costs the same as doing so from OmniGraffle 4. Given that OmniGraffle for iPad has only been available for purchase for a day or so, is the first version (indeed, it appears that no one at Omni has even had a chance to run it on an iPad yet!), and Omni has a huge list of projects they want to get out the door over the next year or so, I would be very surprised if we saw a new major version within a year. They've certainly been willing to do plenty of work against the $20 cost of OmniFocus for iPhone. It won't stop being a useful program just because there's a newer major version available. Even if they don't find a way to sell a discounted upgrade to the next major version, if it's going to take you more than a year to get your money's worth out of a software purchase, maybe you don't really need it...

I have no problems shelling out $50 for an OmniGraffle for the iPad, it is probably worth it and alone the fact that is the perfect companion for Keynote on the iPad makes it pretty much a must buy. But i think the person who raised a point about the upgrade pricing is pretty valid. Shelling out again (or better at least) $50 for the OmniGraffle 2.0 for iPad seems pretty steep and Apple doesn't offer anything like App upgrades. This is really the only thing that worries me a little.

By the way: i think a feature matrix comparing the Mac Standard and Pro version with the iPad versions would be pretty helpful. Have you considered to do something like Instaviz? I really love how quick you can get something done with Instaviz.

Last edited by bnz; 2010-04-02 at 11:31 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Then you should be more specific in describing just what it is you are talking about :)

Major releases come with major price tags in Omni-land. Counter-balancing that is the fact that they don't come along very often, and Ken & Co. are pretty good about insisting that they stuff a lot of additional functionality in the apps via the free minor releases. Furthermore, unlike some vendors (I'm looking at you, FileMaker), they've been willing to let you skip releases without having to pay for them. Upgrading from an ancient copy of OmniGraffle 2 bundled with an old laptop to OmniGraffle Pro 5 costs the same as doing so from OmniGraffle 4. Given that OmniGraffle for iPad has only been available for purchase for a day or so, is the first version (indeed, it appears that no one at Omni has even had a chance to run it on an iPad yet!), and Omni has a huge list of projects they want to get out the door over the next year or so, I would be very surprised if we saw a new major version within a year. They've certainly been willing to do plenty of work against the $20 cost of OmniFocus for iPhone. It won't stop being a useful program just because there's a newer major version available. Even if they don't find a way to sell a discounted upgrade to the next major version, if it's going to take you more than a year to get your money's worth out of a software purchase, maybe you don't really need it...
Well that's just it. I don't need a pro-level app for an iPad--I already have that for my Mac.

I'm just really surprised at the market they're targeting. Omni is 2-3 years ahead of its time: iPads might be all the rage in enterprises in a few years, but right now that is not where they're aimed.

Look at all the video demos on Apple's web site: they're all users sitting casually at a kitchen table or on the couch. They're half lying back. They're all at home.

The iPad is not (currently) aimed at high-productivity office environments. (There's no doubt that it can go there, but that, I believe, is a couple years in the future.)

Coming out with what is essentially OmniGraffle Pro at a high price point, for a hardware product that is clearly aimed at a casual, low-cost, consumer pricepoint is... baffling. :confused:

Maybe Omni has more tricks up their sleeve. I hope they do! :)

Typing this from my iPad.

Ok, so you guys based it on the Apple model, but that would mean Photoshop for iPad would be $200.

I think you guys got it wrong but will still consider buying it.

BZ