The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HOw to do a recurring list in a recuring project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the list, new to Omnifocus and new to the iPad - a trifecta!

So far I love the iPad, i'm an old PC user, but boy this Apple stuff just works!
My question is this:
I want to set up a daily project for a morning routine:
Inside it would be a list of things like:
Do 3 pushups ( just kidding)
do 1 situp ( not kidding)
check calendar
take vitamins etc

As I complete each of these, I would like it to disappear from the current day, and re-appear for next day.
I have tried setting up a recurring project with recurring tasks inside it, but as I mark the tasks as done, they just seem to multiply, so i get duplicates of them. Am I making this too complicated? it's just that I would like to have it all grouped in one project, so when all the components are done, I can mark the project as done for that day.
Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Victor

I would make a single action list for this. Then file all of these repeating tasks inside it, set to repeat as desired, with both start and due dates for the day on which you wish to do them. Now tomorrow's pushups aren't hidden by the fact that you didn't take your vitamins today, and you can easily add a task to go running every other day without having to rejigger everything (as you would if you made a repeating project the repeated every day for all of this). You won't have to mark the project done for the day, you just won't see any tasks for it in context mode if you are viewing available tasks.

Sorry, this is probably a newbie question, but how do I make a list, do you mean a folder?
Thanks
Victor

At the bottom of the sidebar, there's a +, a -, and a +<folder>. Tap on the +. That makes you a new project. Now select the new project, bring up the inspector, and click on the little storage box icon, to the right of the icons with sequential and parallel lines,on the line labeled "Type:". That's it!

And let's have a big round of applause for the guy who forgot we were talking about the iPad :-)

On the iPad, to convert a project between sequential, parallel, and single action status, just tap on the project name to bring up the editor. Tap the Info button at right, then tap in the "type" field to bring up the chooser. Tap the one you want.

I had this problem initially where I had both recurring projects and recurring actions. this caused no end of issues.

Either set one or the other to re-occur.

I have the same kind of need, and all I can say is :
  • It can work.
  • It is not easy to set up.
  • I am sure there are some corner cases which are not well implemented.

I have made a proposal to clarify the user interface, see this thread in the Mac forum