The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating actions in a repeating project are redundant, right? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a project that occurs four times per year. Most of its actions have somewhat different start and due dates (compared to each other). I believe that if the project is set to repeating (every 4 months), that I do not need to set repeats for any its actions, and that once the project is completed, all will be well. Just checking if I'm missing anything in terms of best practice or nuances. Thanks.

You're probably right.
Let's say you process all your financial transactions 3 times per year.

Project: Make all the money stuff tidy (repeat every 4 mos)
- Task: download copies of all bank statements
- Task: reconcile checking account
- Task: count all the change in my coin jar

Each time you complete the project, you will get a fresh copy of the project, with a fresh copy of all the actions. No need to make the individual tasks repeat.

------------------------------
[I think the above is your answer, but for completeness...]

Instead of wanting to get all of these done every 4 months, you simply mean to do each of them 3 times per year, but they're more independent.

Project: Make all the money stuff tidy* (No repeats)
- Task: download copies of all bank statements (repeat every 4 mos)
- Task: reconcile checking account (repeat every 4 mos)
- Task: count all the change in my coin jar (repeat every 4 mos)

*In this scenario, you'd probably want to make this a 'single action list' (rather than parallel or sequential) because you'll never complete the project itself, just the actions in it.

---------------------------

It IS possible to have both the project and its actions repeat, but I can't think of a real world example of when that might be the behavior you'd want.

---------------------------

Have I helped, or just confused you further? :)

Those options say it all, thanks!