The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting started... Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been trying to set up my contexts, and ran into a couple of problems...

1) I can't see any way to edit a context after I create it, so if I don't get it under the correct parent context, then I have to delete it and start over again.

Which leads me to the second problem...

2) I am trying to enter a few contexts under a parent context, but after I've created one, instead of the second one being created as a sibling to the last one, it wants to make it a grandchild to the parent context, unless I specifically go and re-select the parent. This is counter-intuitive, and because I can't edit the context after I've created it, is causing me a lot of wasted time repeating the setup steps.

Am I missing something?

(for the record, there is an edit button, but the only thing it will allow me to do after I push it is reorder the current level of the context list, not nest one under another or move it up to a higher level, and delete the contexts).

I have been trying to set up my contexts, and ran into a couple of problems...

1) I can't see any way to edit a context after I create it, so if I don't get it under the correct parent context, then I have to delete it and start over again.

Which leads me to the second problem...

2) I am trying to enter a few contexts under a parent context, but after I've created one, instead of the second one being created as a sibling to the last one, it wants to make it a grandchild to the parent context, unless I specifically go and re-select the parent. This is counter-intuitive, and because I can't edit the context after I've created it, is causing me a lot of wasted time repeating the setup steps.

Am I missing something?

(for the record, there is an edit button, but the only thing it will allow me to do after I push it is reorder the current level of the context list, not nest one under another or move it up to a higher level, and delete the contexts).

Apologies... this was supposed to be in the OmniFocus forum.

Go to the context view by tapping the button in the sidebar. Tap the header for the context you want to edit in the right-hand pane. Tap the Move button in the popup editor/inspector, then tap the spot in the displayed hierarchy where you want to move it. Same basic approach works for projects and actions. See the built-in help for Managing Actions and Projects.

Thanks, whpalmer4.

I tried it, and the item I changed, I couldn't put back in the original place. It was one of the start up tasks, and I had set up a project for "Getting started with OmniFocus" to save them in so I could go back and re-read them later. I don't remember the place I first moved it to, but now I can't put it back where I had it... the program is only allowing me to move it under my Homemaking project or convert it to a project itself.

This shouldn't be so hard.

It's not hard, and there's nothing magic about the start up tasks, or any others. What exactly are you trying to move, where is it now, and where do you want it? If it is too difficult to describe, you can email me a screenshot at my username @gmail.com. You can take a screenshot by holding the top button and pressing the home button. Launch the Photos app, select the photo, and tap the sharing button to email it.