The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Projects I can work on" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to create a list of projects I can work on, that is, those that aren't blocked, have available actions, are past their start time (or don't have a start time), etc.

I'm close, with a view bar setting of Folder/Name/Available/Any/All, but this list still shows items with actions with start dates which haven't yet come (but the projects themselves don't have start dates or those start dates have passed).

These "extra" items show up in grey italics. I've complained about this before, and got suggestions like "give the project a start date".

Now I'm looking for a clever way to hide these items in a perspective. The of this perspective is a list I can look at and say "I know I can do any project on this list right now, because it's defined, and has an action". This isn't for planning. I don't want to see stuff that may need to have an action added to it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

No good ideas, but it does strike me that some sort of start date inheritence would be handy. A project whose NA doesn't come up for a few days ought to be, in turn, delayed. Of course, maybe it shouldn't be simply because you COULD put an NA in it that's sooner since you can see it's stalled out...

the canonical approach to this seems to be, "work in context view", but I sometimes want something like this, too. You could also use flags to filter out (or in) the projects that aren't really available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
"work in context view"
True; that's not the issue for me, however. I'm not looking to complete actions here, I'm looking to do some planning, get a picture of which projects are "in play".

I can get some of this in Context mode by grouping by Project; that seems to show only projects with actual (actionable) actions. However, I lose the ability to group by Folder, and the ability to easily update the projects.

Everything's a compromise.

Quote:
Everything's a compromise
yup. :) :(