The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WHY!? Subtract Shapes distorts image; makes me crazy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to make cutouts of images using Edit-->Shapes-->Subtract/Intersect/Union.

I want the image to remain at it's original proportions. There is no problem if I cover only a single corner of the image. I can "subtract" w/o any problems, and I get what I want.

However, if I cover two or more corners with a rectangle and try to "subtract," things get weird. The image gets stretched to fit the newly created shape. My hope is that I am missing some kind of menu toggle that will turn this totally useless auto-stretching feature off. (Omni, if you're listening, PLEASE take this out of subsequent versions.)

Here's what I DON'T want to have to do:
I don't want to have to resize/recenter the image every time. That's a finicky, frustrating, time-consuming solution. I just want a way to get subtractions/unions/etc (in PS, they call 'em clipping masks) without distorting the original image.

I will try to attach images to a follow-on message. I seem to be having trouble attaching files via Safari. (Pretty awesome, Omni, pretty awesome.)

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

See attached images.

One final image to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 4.24.55 PM.png
Views:	474
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 4.25.48 PM.png
Views:	492
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 4.26.54 PM.png
Views:	484
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	2853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 4.27.36 PM.png
Views:	480
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2854  

The final image, which depicts the unwanted distortion, is attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 4.28.25 PM.png
Views:	473
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2855  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDeal View Post
I am trying to make cutouts of images using Edit-->Shapes-->Subtract/Intersect/Union.

I want the image to remain at it's original proportions. There is no problem if I cover only a single corner of the image. I can "subtract" w/o any problems, and I get what I want.

However, if I cover two or more corners with a rectangle and try to "subtract," things get weird. The image gets stretched to fit the newly created shape. My hope is that I am missing some kind of menu toggle that will turn this totally useless auto-stretching feature off. (Omni, if you're listening, PLEASE take this out of subsequent versions.)

Here's what I DON'T want to have to do:
I don't want to have to resize/recenter the image every time. That's a finicky, frustrating, time-consuming solution. I just want a way to get subtractions/unions/etc (in PS, they call 'em clipping masks) without distorting the original image.

I will try to attach images to a follow-on message. I seem to be having trouble attaching files via Safari. (Pretty awesome, Omni, pretty awesome.)

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
The default "Stretch to Fill" for the object is on and, if I understand correctly, modification of an object which effects the overall dimensions of the object will trigger the fill image to be recalculated. This is why cutting one corner opposed to cutting two or more has no distortion of the image. I have not played with the settings enough to provide a workable solution for your issue.

1. Select the object
2. Open the inspector
3. Navigate to the Style: Image preference pane
4. Change the option to one of the settings; Natural Size, Stretch to Fill, Tiled

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot.png
Views:	770
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2857  

I was hoping to avoid going into the Style: Image Preference Pane.
When I do that and select Natural Size, two problems crop up:
1. In the event that the image has been resized, clicking Natural Size reverts it back to its original size. This means I often have to manually adjust it back to the size that I just had it at.
2. In the event that I scale the new shape, the image doesn't scale with it. More manual sizing.

I'm trying to create wireframes with multiple images framed by an overlay. You can imagine how long it would take to resize everything manually.

But I appreciate the help Dale.

If anyone else can weigh in, that'd be great.
And I do hope they change this feature, because the current config is asinine.

I also ran into this bug, I'm still at version 4.2.3 (Professional)

The 'natural size' does not work for me either, the cropping happens in totally the wrong place, seems the logic is corrupt there vis-a-vis page coordinates in some way. Maybe it's much to expect a bug fix for such an old version, but - a bug is still a bug, and I've come to have high expectations on Omni :)

(also, if the logic is still the same in version 5 it might be an easily ported fix)

See attached diagrams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ball.png
Views:	456
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2955