The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Hiding completed repeating items & priorities Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to begin by saying what a great program OmniFocus is. There are two features that I believe are missing and would really complete OmniFocus.

The first feature would be to hide a repeating item after it is completed. For example, letís say that I have a daily or weekly repeating action. I donít want to be see it on my Action List once I have checked it off for the day, week, whatever. I have a number of repeating actions, and I hate having those mixed in with actions that still need to be complete possibly that day.

The second feature that would really round out the program would be the ability to assign a priority to actions, which isnít strictly a GTD practice, but I do believe would make a well received addition to OmniFocus.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
The first feature would be to hide a repeating item after it is completed. For example, letís say that I have a daily or weekly repeating action. I donít want to be see it on my Action List once I have checked it off for the day, week, whatever. I have a number of repeating actions, and I hate having those mixed in with actions that still need to be complete possibly that day.
I think this could be done! Define a start time, which is the same date as the due time, and choose the perspective filter "available".

Is this the point you asked for?
--Dirk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
The second feature that would really round out the program would be the ability to assign a priority to actions, which isnít strictly a GTD practice, but I do believe would make a well received addition to OmniFocus.
You might find this thread to be interesting reading.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I think this could be done! Define a start time, which is the same date as the due time, and choose the perspective filter "available".

Is this the point you asked for?
--Dirk
How does get the start date set automatically for repeating tasks? At the moment whenever I mark complete a repeating task (which has a start date) it creates a new task with a due date but no start date. I have to manually set the start date to get it off my available actions list.

I recognise that some repeating tasks become available immediately, but some don't :)

Thanks!!

Anita
 
I just ran across this same problem. I had a set of repeating Actions in a Project called "Clean House". The repeating Actions were always at the top of my list, an hence, always seemed to be my Next Action.

I cheated(?) and just put all of my repeating Actions in a Project called "Clean House Repeating".

That way, my Next Actions list can actually progress past my repeating items.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
The second feature that would really round out the program would be the ability to assign a priority to actions, which isnít strictly a GTD practice, but I do believe would make a well received addition to OmniFocus.
I think flags go underused towards this end - consider them as providing a Low/High priority tag.

-P
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
How does get the start date set automatically for repeating tasks? At the moment whenever I mark complete a repeating task (which has a start date) it creates a new task with a due date but no start date. I have to manually set the start date to get it off my available actions list.
Hm, for me this is working: I set a start date (03.01.2008), a due date (04.01.2008), Repeat from completion day every 1 week, and the Action Inspector tells me the time of the next task, if I mark "complete": Next Start 09.01.2008, next Due 10.01.2008. I don't have to set the start date manually, and the task is not shown, as the starting time is tomorrow.

--Dirk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Hm, for me this is working: I set a start date (03.01.2008), a due date (04.01.2008), Repeat from completion day every 1 week, and the Action Inspector tells me the time of the next task, if I mark "complete": Next Start 09.01.2008, next Due 10.01.2008. I don't have to set the start date manually, and the task is not shown, as the starting time is tomorrow.

--Dirk
My brain hurts! I just retested it and it works fine! This is a good thing but it makes me worry I was hallucinating, but it really really wasn't this morning.

On the up side, I've had notification of three updates today and applied them all, so I guess I might've just had a weird version for a few days.

As a total aside, the updates thing is strange, no updates for days and then one, and another immediately after I install the first.

Anita
 
Dirk, please forgive me for taking so long to thank you for your tip. It has been working for my uses.
 
Thank you Curt. I have been using flags per your indirect suggestion. This flagging of items is also compatible with my use of ZTD (ZenToDone a tweaked application of ZTD by Leo Babauta. See http://zenhabits.net/tags/ztd/). For my needs OmniFocus and ZenToDone are GREAT!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Completed Actions Hiding Immediately Toadling OmniFocus 1 for Mac 6 2009-06-05 06:05 PM
Completed and Completed Repeating Items NOT syncing blewis OmniFocus Syncing 1 2008-07-18 05:48 PM
Viewing completed items completed today smiggles OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2008-07-02 04:57 AM
Hiding completed tasks relaxedguy OmniPlan General 7 2007-08-02 04:57 PM
Hiding completed tasks relaxedguy OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2007-07-31 09:45 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.