The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shopping lists & multiple locations Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to try using OmniFocus for a shopping list app, which seems to be a recommended use. The location awareness would be excellent. However, from what I can see, you can't have an item in multiple locations? What I'd need to do is have an item that I can buy at multiple places. For example a tube of sealant for a repair project on my boat could be purchased at the hardware store, boat store, or Wal-mart. The six-pack of beer could come from the grocery store or Wal-mart. Hard parts could come from the boat store or the auto parts store. Etc.

Is anything like this possible in a way that I've missed?

I too would like to see the ability to assign multiple locations to a single context. For example, I would like a Library context be assigned multiple locations, one for each of the campus libraries I use, since my library tasks can be done at any of these locations. This would make the Nearby feature much more useful.

I think you can do this for business searches by entering multiple names separated by "OR" (which must be entered with capital letters), e.g. "Grocery Store OR Wal-mart" in the first poster's example.

There isn't yet a way to do this for other types of locations, but we'll look into adding that. Thanks!

I've long been the type to list all my action items by the location where I can accomplish them. For a very long time I've found with other apps that don't want to look at them this way, and Omni Focus is the first to work my way. I would just like to extend this ability with the "OR" type functionality both for the shopping lists and for other tasks. I can accomplish much of the same things at my home office or my real office, for example.

The location awareness is a real treat, along with finally finding an app that works like I do.