The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

gmail / general disappointment Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni's products are generally incredibly high quality.

Omnigraffer is by far the best flowchart design software I ever came across.

Omnioutliner is perhaps not necessary but does what it's meant to really well without bloat (i.e. good software)

Omnidisksweeper - orgasmicly simple solution to a common problem. Elegant.

But Omniweb? I mean - come on! The site prefs are clever, neat, whatever. Workspaces, sure sure. But when gmail doesn't even work properly...? They're web developers, right? So how can they not know how common folk want to use the web?

Before deploying such a hyped-up application, and especially from such a professional developing team as omnigroup, run throgouh testing of the most common web apps.

Sorry for the bashing, but when everything else they produce is so excellent, such a bomb is simply upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcvs
But Omniweb? I mean - come on! The site prefs are clever, neat, whatever. Workspaces, sure sure. But when gmail doesn't even work properly...? They're web developers, right? So how can they not know how common folk want to use the web?

Before deploying such a hyped-up application, and especially from such a professional developing team as omnigroup, run throgouh testing of the most common web apps.

Sorry for the bashing, but when everything else they produce is so excellent, such a bomb is simply upsetting.
OmniWeb was deployed before the Google founders were out of college, long before Google was created and long before Gmail was envisioned. Most of the technologies that Gmail uses didn't even exist when OmniWeb was deployed.

There's been a lot of updates since its deployment. There's also a lot of quirks with Gmail which cause it to not work with with Apple's own Web Kit. Heck, I have yet to find a browser that works well with Gmail. IE7 & FF2 both have issues with Gmail.

Sure OmniWeb has more than some, but Google is continually releasing updates to Gmail, some of which don't work right in browsers. Gmail is still in beta, after all.

I assume you've searched the forum and mailing list to discover some of the reasons Gmail doesn't play well with OW, and some of the tweaks one can do to make it work better, right?

I also think here we cannot blame Omni much for the inconsistent way some browsers handle JavaScript. And especially the problem that Apple has completely failed to come up with a proper JavaScript engine for Safari and is finally catching up with their nightly builds.

It is only now that everyone does AJAX on their sites - some with less success than others - that JavaScript becomes more of an issue, especially when the developers don't test their JS against all major browsers. I partly blame Google for not yet fully supporting Safari, especially with Google's CEO being on Apple's board of directors, but as much I blame Apple for still not having implemented JS in a way that actually works, or at least not deploying some of the fruits of their nightly builds as a dearly needed update to the official WebKit.

Omni, ego te absolvo ;-)

That's pretty much it. Webkit development is still seriously lagging behind other major browser engines, and Omniweb is not a major revenue generator for Omnigroup. So, more than anything, it's simple economics that's keeping Omniweb development back. At least, my impression is that the factor of the revenue divided by the resources dedicated to the project is MUCH lower for OW than any other Ogroup product.

C'est la vie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
Webkit development is still seriously lagging behind other major browser engines
Is it? In what way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Is it? In what way?
Developer mindshare. Recent versions - the nightlies - are of extremely high quality, but we won't see that in production until Leopard. So right now a lot of people just ignore WebKit. "IE and FF are all that matter anyway", or so the (lazy, IMHO) logic goes.

But dig through the bugzilla for WebKit; there's Googlers in there fixing bugs, or at least aware of things and working with the WebKit people when it's server-side.

I believe there is frustration with both Safari / OmniWeb / Webkit development. As one who is forced to work in Windows at work, it is hard not to notice the pace that the Mozilla Organization has set for updating Firefox. From roadmaps to frequent minor updates, all others are slow in comparasion.

That being said, on the Mac side, no one has slower browser updates than Apple. When is the last time you saw a Safari update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller
I believe there is frustration with both Safari / OmniWeb / Webkit development. As one who is forced to work in Windows at work, it is hard not to notice the pace that the Mozilla Organization has set for updating Firefox. From roadmaps to frequent minor updates, all others are slow in comparasion.

That being said, on the Mac side, no one has slower browser updates than Apple. When is the last time you saw a Safari update?
Apple's damned in every direction. One, they are ostensibly working with the KDE folks, who get extremely ... testy ... when they feel Apple is not doing things "just so" although I think that situation is mostly resolved.

Two, they have to track with independent app developers: the s60 branch, and now Apollo, and Google (their GWT thingee, or whatever it's called), not to mention the Omni folks, and Shiira and whatever else is using WebKit/WebCore/etc.

Third they have to deal with their installed base. Rev'ing Safari in such a way that breaks sites would be problematic.

I agree, strongly, that Apple has dropped the ball overall with handling Safari, since I similarly think that (especially in the last 3-5 months) they have a browser on their hands that is in many ways, far superior to Firefox/Gecko (performance, embeddability, cross-platform). I think Leopard is going to be a big test for them: they're going to have to work to convince the web developer masses to really target Safari, AND they're going to have to stay out in front and in the open to remind them "it's in your best interests to make it work in Safari!". They've been hibernating, sitting on a gold mine.

I'm not so sure they have been hibernating on the iPod/iTunes gold mine.

I've just downloaded Omni for the first time and have just read this thread so I tried gmail with Omni - works just fine for me. Opens the same as FF, Camino, Safari, Shiira.......