The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can stencil changes update globally? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I modify a stencil, is there a way to make it update globally across all my Omnigraffle Pro files?

Thanks!

A stencil is only used at the time you create the object. The stencil object is copied, but from that point on there is nothing different about the object created — the stencil is just a shortcut for easier creation. Once the document is closed and reopened, there is no way of knowing if an object was created by hand or by stencil, and consequently no way to apply any subsequent changes to the stencil to the previously created objects. It's just like a drafting stencil — if you make a drawing with the stencil, then take a knife and modify the stencil, your drawing doesn't magically change to match the new stencil.

Thanks.

I suppose I could use Shared Layers but they also share coordinate data, which isn't helpful if I use the same icon on different mind maps in different locations.

I like to maintain the ability to edit/update an icon used in multiple locations, later in the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasww2 View Post
I like to maintain the ability to edit/update an icon used in multiple locations, later in the project.
The Canvas:Selection inspector may help - it's meant to help you find/select shapes without needing to hunt find them yourself. Select one of the categories of shapes that it finds to select all those shapes. Any changes you make at this point will be applied to all of them...