The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Workflow for weekly goals? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a number of projects in my library. What is the best way to set a weekly goal to complete a portion of a project?

The best way I can figure to do this is to create another project with nearly the same name (instead of *do 10* I name it *do 3) and add each of these to a perspective, but that clutters up my library.

Any ideas?

You can try flagging just a few projects that you'll want to do this week.

Then create a perspective to look at just flagged projects or tasks.

It's the Three Big Rock idea. At the beginning of the week, you choose three big rocks you want complete. Flag those projects. Be realistic. Don't expect to try to cram ten big rocks. You can Google for "Big Rocks of the Week" and find more explanation on that idea.

Personally, I look at my OmniFocus projects and write down the three big rocks on a whiteboard at work. Whenever I walk in, the first thing I see is the whiteboard. This reminds me to work on those big rocks this week.

Another thing you can do is to break up a large project into sub-projects that can/should be accomplished in timely intervals (finish project 1 in the first week, finish project 2 in the second week, etc.).

I'll have one big project with many sub-projects and work through those.

But to give it more distinction, I like to create a folder and put separate projects in it. For example, I have a "create a customer contact database" folder. Then I'll create multiple projects representing distinct stages.

Project 1. Create database structure
Project 2. Import customer data from old program
Project 3. Design data entry workflows
Project 4. Design desired output - reports for the week, month, quarter, year

I'll set the first database project to "Active" status and put all the other projects ' status to "On Hold".

When I finish stage 1 (create database structure), I'll set the stage 2 project (import customer data) to active and work on that. I'll repeat until I finish all the projects in that folder.