The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Disappearing folders! [Items filtered from view; "All Items" Perspective showed them] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the ideas we have is to show a status bar which says something like "Showing 12 of 200 items", so people can get some clear feedback that all 200 of their items still exist, they're just not visible in the current view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
One of the ideas we have is to show a status bar which says something like "Showing 12 of 200 items", so people can get some clear feedback that all 200 of their items still exist, they're just not visible in the current view.
I like that idea. Not only would that help new users but also those of us who have been on board for a while. :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I hope that it will be possible to hide this. "Showing 12 of 3275 items" would be a little too depressing to see unsolicited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I hope that it will be possible to hide this. "Showing 12 of 3275 items" would be a little too depressing to see unsolicited!
Ha ha! I'm in a similar situation.

Thinking about this more: does it make sense to maybe display it in the title bar? Mail does something like this (as do some third-party apps like Yojimbo). The nice thing about using the title bar is that you don't lose any screen real estate to another UI widget. Just a thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	392
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	925

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	394
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	926

And then, for whpalmer4, a preference checkbox to toggle the feature. ;-)

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-05-29 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Screenshots

I'm apparently pretty good at ignoring the window title bar, because the unread email counts don't bother me at all :-)

Seriously, though, I'd be happy for my option to be one set by the defaults program, no need to clutter up the preferences panes that everyone has to see. Or I could just park the closed Inspector over the title!

What about a Show All perspective. Planning mode with All Projects in the sidebar. Ungrouped - unsorted - any status - any duration - any flag status. I use a perspective like this for searching when I want to find things quickly. Perhaps including this type of perspective prebuilt for new users would be something that Omni might want to add to the Perspective menu.

If your interest is in a single project, just activate this perspective, click on the desired project and click the Focus button. That will remove all of the other projects from your screen.

Assign this perspective to a toolbar button and you have single click access to everything. I call mine, "Search All".

Yeah, that's kind of what I was suggesting. OmniFocus already has a built-in "Show All" perspective under the Perspectives menu. It's just not available as a toolbar button by default; you have to make your own.

By adding a prominent, built-in button in the default toolbar, maybe the capability would become more discoverable and accessible for new users who aren't ready to create their own custom perspectives yet.

-Dennis

@Dennis, you're right, I had forgotten about the option on the perspectives menu. I imagine the reason I created my own was to use on the toolbar.

BTW, does anyone know how to change the name of a built-in toolbar button. I am interested in shortening the name of the Mark Reviewed button. John

A couple of options which I'll point out in case you overlooked them:

1) check the Use Small Size box
2) switch to show Icon only (you'll want distinctive icons for everything)

If you've already tried that and it doesn't meet your needs, the following steps should let you change the icon titles:

0) quit OmniFocus
1) duplicate your OmniFocus.app file
2) select the duplicate
3) ctrl-click and choose Show Package Contents
4) go into the Contents folder
5) go into the Resources folder
6) go into the English.lproj folder (adjust as needed for other languages)
7) open DocumentToolbar.strings with TextEdit
8) search for a line that looks like "MarkProjectsReviewed" = "Mark Reviewed";
9) change the text to the right side of the "=" to your desired string
10) save the file
11) try launching the application and make sure everything seems to be okay
12) move the edited OmniFocus.app copy to be the production version

@whpalmer4 - Thanks so much for the excellent instructions. You really got to love a Mac when you can hack an application so easily. As a long time Windows user I never realized you could open the guts of an application like that. I guess its similar to the registry in Windows, but that is a major nightmare.

Anyway, perhaps its just eye candy, but I was able to add the button back on the tool bar with the shortened name, and am a happy camper. I appreciate your help. John