The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Request for additional license when syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using OF for just a few months, and love it. But today I encountered a new issue while using it with MobileMe syncing.

I have 3 Macs that I use, depending upon where and what I do (iMac and 2 MacBooks). I had setup OF to sync via MobileMe AND my iPhone, and all seemed to be working well.

But today, while I had OF open on my "work" MacBook, my copy on my iMac reported that it needed another license. Shutting down the MacBook solved the problem, which let me know that it was seeing what it thought was "too many copies" on my home network.

So my question is: what are the exact terms of the license? I am the only user, but there seems to be an issue I have not encountered before with concurrent sessions of OF.

Thanks for any help.

You can install a license in your user account on any machine you use. The intent is that one of our apps will run concurrently on however many seats you purchase.

When one of our apps starts up, it checks the local network and sees if any other copies are using the same license code. (The apps do not phone home to us.) To facilitate syncing, we made a change a few months back where a 1-seat license will actually run on two machines at the same time.

When a third copy starts up on the same local network, it will do so in trial mode. That's what you saw happen.

Computers are really good at counting computers, and really bad at knowing that one fleshling is the person touching all three keyboards. If we had a good way to do the latter, the scheme would work differently. :-)

We're basically trying to find a compromise that allows individuals to get their work done, but doesn't enable a 10 person company to buy a 1-seat license and have everyone use it.

Upshot of all this is that what you saw when all three machines were active on the same network is what's supposed to happen. The circumstances are pretty narrow, though, and if it's a big problem, you can email sales@omnigroup.com and they can lend a hand.

Thanks, now I see my problem - I had a third instance of OF running on the network that I forgot about. Once I turned that off, I could run two concurrent instances (which is more typical and all I need).

It's good now.