The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't find my calendar in the preference list [A: sync to a local calendar.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a few calendars that I subscribe to in iCal. However the one that is my default (we use and exchange server) doesn't appear in the list of calendars to sync in the preference pane? Anyone know how to make it appear so I can sync? Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, Rob! OmniFocus syncs with local calendars rather than server-based ones. If you open iCal and select
File -> New Calendar -> On My Mac
from the menu bar, you'll be able to sync that way. Hope this helps!

Will OmniFocus support syncing to an iCloud calendar? It seems activating iCloud removes the ability to use local calendars.

I just updated the Lion OS X to 10.7.2 and updated my iOS devices with iOS 5 and transitioned everything from MobileME to iCloud. Now, OmniFocus on the Mac cannot sync with iCal. Dis I miss something?

I would love to be able to have OmniFocus use the iCloud calendars and populate the "to do" on them. I know that OmniFocus doesn't replace the calendar (the website even states as much), but I do think most people like to schedule tasks they have created onto a calendar - this ability seems to be missing.

Of course, it could be right in front of my face - so maybe I should say that I have no idea how to make it happen, sync, and update the tasks between OmniFocus and the Apple Calendars.

To make matters worse - I'd like to use my own Calandar App and not iCal.

Sorry for the confusion! Activating iCloud converts all of your existing calendars to server-side ones that OmniFocus can't sync with, but you can open iCal and select
File -> New Calendar -> On my Mac
to create a new local calendar for OmniFocus to sync to.

Going forward, we plan to continue to support exporting information to .ical files as part of the sync process. It's unclear whether the iCloud calendar web app can subscribe to external calendars, but we regard that as something Apple needs to address on their end.

We also plan to add Forecast view to the Mac app and add other features as needed to help folks be productive.

The calendar sync feature will eventually be removed, though, and we don't expect to replace it in a form that looks like it currently exists. It's used by a very small number of people, but it's among the top features that generate confusion among customers. (Measured in terms of the number of emails that get sent in about it.)

Never mind, got it figured out. Created new calendars on my Mac after iCloud messed up the ones that I did have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry for the confusion! Activating iCloud converts all of your existing calendars to server-side ones that OmniFocus can't sync with, but you can open iCal and select
File -> New Calendar -> On my Mac
to create a new local calendar for OmniFocus to sync to.

Going forward, we plan to continue to support exporting information to .ical files as part of the sync process. It's unclear whether the iCloud calendar web app can subscribe to external calendars, but we regard that as something Apple needs to address on their end.

We also plan to add Forecast view to the Mac app and add other features as needed to help folks be productive.

The calendar sync feature will eventually be removed, though, and we don't expect to replace it in a form that looks like it currently exists. It's used by a very small number of people, but it's among the top features that generate confusion among customers. (Measured in terms of the number of emails that get sent in about it.)
I tried doing this and it worked until I actually completed one of the tasks and tried to sync again. All of the tasks then disappeared from iCal. I guess now I will just use the Mac like I do the iPhone and iPad and use iCal just for appointments and OmniFocus for the tasks. Although I never marked the tasks completed in iCal or BusyCal, it was nice to see them in the calendar so I knew what was coming up. Hopefully Forecast will be added to the Mac OmniFocus soon. I love using Forecast on the iPad and iPhone. It is the screen I use the most.

Syncing worked until I actually completed a task and then it died again. I guess until they add the forecast module to the Mac Version I will just have to get used to not seeing the tasks in a calendar. I never used iCal or BusyCal to mark the tasks completed, I just used it to see what tasks were coming up on the individual days.

>The calendar sync feature will eventually be removed

Wow - this would rrrrreally make me stop working with OmniFocus, as iCal-integration is absolutely crucial for me, with Omnifocus as well as with OmniPlan.

Removing the iCal-Sync would very probably make me switch to Reminders or some other ToDo-Tool. And, boy, I use OmniFocus on every device I have - but in the end we need iCal as a link to the rest of my team.

The lack of iCloud-calendar-integration is already, after just two days, proving to be a problem in our workflow.