The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New OmniWeb Product Icon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Honestly, a tsunami isn't the most positive image. Some people may see it and instantly think of piles of dead bodies.

Edit: now that I think about it, it might be an appropriate icon for Internet Explorer ;)

Hmmm, why a tsunami? Why can't it just be a wave?

Yes, a wave, as in Interent Surfing. Also, some of Japan's great works of art are of tsunami.

I agree with the original thread starter.

I keep getting my OmniWeb icon confused with the Rosetta Stone icon.

Bear in mind that the OmniWeb icon "brand" has always been an image of the globe (i.e. Earth) afaik, so to use something else would be quite a sea change (so-to-speak) ;)

How about something like a digital wave encompassing a globe?

When I see that wave icon, I think of something like this:

"Bear in mind that the OmniWeb icon "brand" has always been an image of the globe (i.e. Earth) afaik, so to use something else would be quite a sea change (so-to-speak)"

Lets take a look at the progression of the Omni Group corporate logo:

As you see by the above graphics, the initial corporate logo in 1996 is earth mapping centric. However, as you move forward in time, the logo becomes somewhat abstract. Precedence has been set. The Omni Group site itself has pretty good graphics. A abstract OmniWeb logo would solve technical (different image by time zone), geographical (world views), logo similarities (Rosetta Stone language), and be perceived as modern.

The world globe, as a web logo, was rendered obsolete in 1996 when Microsoft IE 3 was released.

Last edited by markettrue; 2006-10-05 at 12:20 PM..

I hate to say it, but the first two Omni logo's don't have earth maps--that is just the default RenderMan marble texture.

I'd be opposed to Yet Another Blue and White Icon, on the grounds that Mail.app, iChat, and (now) iTunes all have b&w icons. Probably other apps as well, but these are all very common ones. I'm starting to have to pay a lot more attention to which icon is which in my Dock.

Actually, I also mistook the OW icon for the Rosetta Stone icon when I first started using OW. I solved the problem by placing the icons far from each other—I know that the OW is near the top whereas the Rosetta Stone icon is near the bottom. :-)