The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Linking related actions in different projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I have two actions, or even two projects, and one can't be done without the other being done first, is there an easy way (or any way) in OmniFocus to link them with each other without them being part of the same project? For example, let's say I have a "Clean my apartment" project, with the actions "Make my bed," "Vacuum the carpet," and "Wash the dishes," that don't need to be done in any particular order. But, before I can "Vacuum the carpet," I need to "Buy a vacuum," which is part of my "Shopping List" project. Is there a way I can see in OmniFocus that one needs to get done before I can do the other, and/or hide "Vacuum the carpet" until "Buy a vacuum" is checked off?

Thanks in advance :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid View Post
If I have two actions, or even two projects, and one can't be done without the other being done first, is there an easy way (or any way) in OmniFocus to link them with each other without them being part of the same project? ...
One way you could handle this is to link the "Vacuum carpet" task to the note field in the "Buy a vacuum cleaner" task. Then, set the start date for the "Vacuum carpet" task to a time ahead when you know that you will have bought the vacuum cleaner. When you buy the vacuum cleaner, use the note field to jump to the task to vacuum the carpet. You can delete its start date to have it activate.

Alternatively, you could create the project with [contexts] this way ...

Project Clean Apartment (parallel project)
- Tidy Up (parallel action group)
-- make bed [Apartment]
-- put away laundry [Apartment]
-- wash dishes [Apartment]
- Clean Carpet (sequential action group)
-- buy vacuum cleaner [Shopping]
-- vacuum carpet [Apartment]

--
JJW

For a little more detail on how you can create links, see this thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=19756

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Quote:
One way you could handle this is to link the "Vacuum carpet" task to the note field in the "Buy a vacuum cleaner" task. Then, set the start date for the "Vacuum carpet" task to a time ahead when you know that you will have bought the vacuum cleaner.
I think this could work if I use a start date way in the future...i.e. instead of one when I "know" the first task will be done by (which is rarely the case), one that is one or two years ahead, so it will be unavailable until I finish the first task and change or delete the start date.

Quote:
Alternatively, you could create the project with [contexts] this way ...

Project Clean Apartment (parallel project)
- Tidy Up (parallel action group)
-- make bed [Apartment]
-- put away laundry [Apartment]
-- wash dishes [Apartment]
- Clean Carpet (sequential action group)
-- buy vacuum cleaner [Shopping]
-- vacuum carpet [Apartment]
I think this could work for some things -- the problem is that sometimes the tasks are totally unrelated in terms of context AND project, e.g. I need to "buy a leash" at [Context: Pet Store] in [Project: Productive Single Actions] before I can "walk the dog" which is at [Context: Home] in [Project: Daily Chores]. The two tasks are in different contexts AND projects. (And I'd rather keep something like "buy a leash" in [Project: Productive Single Actions] since it doesn't belong in [Project: Daily Chores] and I don't want to have to create a whole separate project just because one of my daily chores requires a certain one-time errand before I can do it...I could probably come up with a better example but I hope that makes sense.)

I think the linking thing could work for this kind of situation though. I looked at the other thread and it was helpful, I'll try it out and see how it goes. Thanks!

So I've discovered that when you copy as a link, it comes up with a funky url that doesn't have the task name in it. But if you just highlight and copy the task and then paste it into the notes of the other task, it will automatically link to the task AND set the name of the link as the name of the task. It's still not completely smooth because if you change the name of the linked task the link name stays the same. But it's something. :)

Quote:
So I've discovered that when you copy as a link, it comes up with a funky url that doesn't have the task name in it. But if you just highlight and copy the task and then paste it into the notes of the other task, it will automatically link to the task AND set the name of the link as the name of the task. It's still not completely smooth because if you change the name of the linked task the link name stays the same. But it's something. :)
It's a link. You click on it and it takes you to the destination. Do you really need it to match the name of the destination? It's trivial to edit the display string for the link; just select the text of the link and type the new name. I'd estimate the likelihood of Omni putting in the effort to make the link display string track changes in the name of the destination at vanishingly small, maybe less :-) If you want to help yourself do this, put a link in at the destination pointing back at the source, though you'll still have to remember to check for such a link...

Do you really have to have two different projects? Can't it be one project?

Using the vacuum example - you could make one project, sequential, and go from there.

Unless there is something very complex going on, you might want to rethink your projects setup.

Quote:
When I try this, I end up with just the task name as plain text in the notes field, not as a link. I tried copying both projects and individual tasks with the same result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

And speaking of links, when I use the Copy As Link command, I do get what looks like a proper link, but instead of taking me to the task it's supposed to represent, all the link does is open a new window with my default perspective. Right now the only intra-OF linking technique that's working for me is dragging a perspective icon from the Perspectives window. :-(

Last edited by eurobubba; 2012-09-09 at 10:34 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
When I try this, I end up with just the task name as plain text in the notes field, not as a link. I tried copying both projects and individual tasks with the same result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
You need to click on the row handle of the action or project you want to link to, then copy. If you are editing the target, you'll just get text.
Quote:
And speaking of links, when I use the Copy As Link command, I do get what looks like a proper link, but instead of taking me to the task it's supposed to represent, all the link does is open a new window with my default perspective. Right now the only intra-OF linking technique that's working for me is dragging a perspective icon from the Perspectives window. :-(
Is your target task visible in your default perspective? There's an annoying bug in OmniFocus that I've been complaining about for many years that may be biting you here. If you cause a window to be opened (by clicking on a link, for example) and that window opens with a perspective that would not normally permit the display of the action you requested, OmniFocus may churlishly show you the window you requested, without the content you requested. I reported this bug before the version that contained it was released, but no doubt they are still using "there are more requests for other things" as a justification for not fixing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Is your target task visible in your default perspective? There's an annoying bug in OmniFocus that I've been complaining about for many years that may be biting you here. If you cause a window to be opened (by clicking on a link, for example) and that window opens with a perspective that would not normally permit the display of the action you requested, OmniFocus may churlishly show you the window you requested, without the content you requested. I reported this bug before the version that contained it was released, but no doubt they are still using "there are more requests for other things" as a justification for not fixing it.
Just saw your reply — yes, that's undoubtedly what's happening. Thanks!