The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NYTimes beachballs with adblock on Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Subject pretty much says it all. When I turn on regex ad blocking, the New York Times website beachballs on load. I haven't transfered my ususal OW prefs to this new work computer yet, so the list of regex is pretty small.

://.*\./ads\..*\.net/
://.*\./ads\..*\.com/
://.*\.doubleclick\.net/
://.*\.connect\.facebook\.net/
://.*\.adx\.*/
://.*\.serving\-sys\.com/

Any ideas what could be causing that?

I raised a bug quite some time ago that sounds similar. The Omni people investigated a bit (since I was able to give them a sample from when the problem occurred) and it turned out to be caused when a site uses embedded/custom fonts. Apparently something in the ad-blocking code gets upset by the way custom fonts are loaded from the CSS.

The person from Omni who got back to me when I raised the bug said (I'm paraphrasing) that it was on their list, but they have so little time to work on OmniWeb that it was unlikely to be fixed any time soon. The only workaround I had come up with was to exclude ad-blocking for those sites.

In the end I'm afraid I switched to Safari (with SafariStand, ClickToPlugin, Glims etc.) and no longer use OmniWeb on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!