The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Noob questions (Printing and iPad) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using OF/iPhone on my iPad. I am not a Mac user.

When I zoom in to 2x on my iPad, the fonts appear blurry and not clean as in the 1x view. Is this normal behavior? Can I do something to change this behavior?

Second question: when I travel, I like to take a print-out of my "online" and "travel" contexts. Since OF does not sync with any Windows-based software, I wanted to know if there is any way to print this stuff.

Thanks!
---------------

PS: Please note there are some unavoidable reasons due to which I can neither buy a Mac, nor can I take the iPad everywhere I travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaisare View Post
Second question: when I travel, I like to take a print-out of my "online" and "travel" contexts. Since OF does not sync with any Windows-based software, I wanted to know if there is any way to print this stuff.
Hi nkaisare,

In an emergency, when I don't have access to the desktop version of OmniFocus, I take screenshots of the list I need to email/print (press the power button at the top and the menu button simultaneously).

I appreciate that it can be incredibly frustrating not having any import/export facility. For that reason alone, I won't recommend the OmniFocus App to standalone or PC users looking for a To Do/GTD App for the iPhone. If the ability to export (print) data is important to you, I recommend emailing the support team at OmniFocus asking them to add your vote to other users who might also be requesting this feature.

FYI: In the past, when this issue has been discussed, I have been reliably informed that it may be possible to access data stored in the App using a WebDAV server, but I'm afraid I don't know how this is achieved. Hopefully more experienced and technically-literate Members of this board will be better able to help you!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-09 at 06:32 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaisare View Post
When I zoom in to 2x on my iPad, the fonts appear blurry and not clean as in the 1x view. Is this normal behavior? Can I do something to change this behavior?
Yes, it is normal behavior — the iPad is simply doubling the size of the image in both dimensions by turning 1 pixel into a block of 2x2 identical pixels. It is much like zooming in on a photograph beyond the point where one pixel in the image occupies one pixel on the screen.

There isn't anything supported you can do about it at the moment. I understand there are some hacks you can do if you've jailbroken your iPad. I don't play that game, so you'll have to look elsewhere for help with that.

A far superior option will be to purchase OmniFocus for iPad when it ships. I don't work for Omni, so I can't tell you exactly when that will be, but from what I've seen and heard, it will be a far superior experience to running the iPhone app on the iPad.

Quote:

PS: Please note there are some unavoidable reasons due to which I can neither buy a Mac, nor can I take the iPad everywhere I travel.
Sorry to hear that life has dealt you such a lousy hand ;)

As EndoftheQ suggests, you could take some screen captures of your lists, get them off the iPad by email, DropBox, iTunes, etc. and print them. That's your best bet at the moment.

It is possible to get at your data if you set up webDAV syncing, but I'm not a PC guy and don't know what you could easily do with it once you retrieved it! It is a bunch of zipped up XML files. Pulling out the attachments is pretty easy, but reconstructing a bunch of lists would require some work, I think. My guess is that most people who could write a tool to do it either have a Mac (and so don't need the tool), or don't do OmniFocus (and thus don't need the tool either).

Perhaps OmniFocus for iPad will deliver some sort of export-for-print functionality. With the iPhone app, I think a reasonable case can be made that you just take the device with you wherever you go, no printing necessary, but I can accept that some might not be able to do the same with an iPad.

Thanks for your replies.

I will still stick with OmniFocus, since it is by far comes closest to how I do my GTD. I guess writing down with hand a few most important things as a list may be easier than coaxing a printout.

Hope they come out with an iPad version soon.