The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Cannot assign shortcut to clipping services after upgrading to Snow Leopard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I looked for a specific thread on this but didn't find one. Here's the problem:

After upgrading to Snow Leopard and updating OF to 1.7.5 I am unable to assign a shortcut for clipping services from within OF.

The service itself works fine (I can right click an email and run the service with no problem) but when I try to enter a keyboard shortcut in OF preferences, it will not "stick" (the window remains blank). The shortcut I would like to set up is cmd+shift+T (worked in previous versions) but I've also tried all kinds of combinations and none worked. Also, when I check the keyboard preferences, it doesn't show up there, either.

I would appreciate any help
 
I'm not using SN myself, but I believe this is covered in a sticky at the top of this page, link.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I'm not using SN myself, but I believe this is covered in a sticky at the top of this page, link.
Greg - thank you for pointing this out to me. With the information in the sticky I was able to find a "workaround" for my problem, but the underlying issue remains. The sticky says:

"Next, select "Application Shortcuts" in the list on the left. The box to the left of the OmniFocus Clipping shortcut in this section should also be checked. Additionally, the keyboard shortcut you specified in OmniFocus' preferences should appear on this line."

The problem is, the OF Clipping shortcut DOES NOT show up in the "Applications Shortcuts" section on my system -- as I said in my first post, I cannot even specify the shortcut from within OF in the first place! Whenever I attempt to assign it in the entry field in the OF preferences "Clippings" section, the field remains empty. Here's the screenshot of that section AFTER I tried to assign the shortcut:


Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Restarting OF and Mail doesn't help.

But here's the workaround: I manually added "OmniFocus: Send to Inbox" to the Applications Shortcuts section of the Preference pane and assigned it the shortcut I wanted. So far it seems to work fine.

I am still curious as to why it is no longer possible to assign it from within OF. Any ideas/suggestions?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosz View Post
The problem is, the OF Clipping shortcut DOES NOT show up in the "Applications Shortcuts" section on my system...
With the release of 1.7.5, the shortcut was moved under the "Services -> Text" heading instead.

-Dennis
 
Hi, I have the exact same issue. Unfortunately, your tip doesn't help :(. I can only find the regular "OmniFocus: Send to Inbox" entry in the services list. The special clipping service (i.e. the one which automatically attaches the current email to the action item) is NOT listed here. How can I assign this shortcut, when - as mentioned above - I always get this red error message in the OmniFocus preferences?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgler View Post
Hi, I have the exact same issue. Unfortunately, your tip doesn't help :(. I can only find the regular "OmniFocus: Send to Inbox" entry in the services list. The special clipping service (i.e. the one which automatically attaches the current email to the action item) is NOT listed here. How can I assign this shortcut, when - as mentioned above - I always get this red error message in the OmniFocus preferences?
The Send to Inbox clipping shortcut *is* the one that attaches the current email...the other shortcut is the one that brings up the Quick Entry box, and as it doesn't work through the Services menu, people don't seem to have any trouble with it.

So, make sure that you've got the Clip-o-Tron installed (click the button at the bottom of the Clippings Preferences in OmniFocus if needed), and that you've got Mail on Leopard (or later) selected in the list of clipping plug-ins, and that you are actually clicking on the message in the list of messages before attempting to clip (if the focus is in the other pane, you need to have some text selected).
 
Yes, whpalmer4, I checked all this. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Does the clipping shortcut have to appear beside the regular "OmniFocus: Sent to Inbox" in the system preferences' keyboard shortcuts list? If yes, what should it be called? I also can't assign a shortcut to clipping inside of OmniFocus's preferences - I always see a red message stating that some other Mac OSX application would have to be terminated before (but it doesn't say which one).
 
I have the same issue, except to say that certain key combinations cannot even apparently be set in System Preferences/Services.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgler View Post
Yes, whpalmer4, I checked all this. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Does the clipping shortcut have to appear beside the regular "OmniFocus: Sent to Inbox" in the system preferences' keyboard shortcuts list? If yes, what should it be called? I also can't assign a shortcut to clipping inside of OmniFocus's preferences - I always see a red message stating that some other Mac OSX application would have to be terminated before (but it doesn't say which one).
Unless you're seeing a message I've never seen, the message says "Mac OS X requires restarting other applications before they will use the new keyboard shortcut." That just means that you need to quit and restart any application that was running at the time you set the shortcut if you want to be able to use the shortcut in that application.

Yes, the shortcut should appear next to OmniFocus: Send to Inbox when viewing the Services section of the Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences. If OmniFocus: Send to Inbox appears in the list but without your shortcut, try unchecking, quitting System Preferences, and setting it again from within OmniFocus. If it still does not work, contact Omni's support group.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Unless you're seeing a message I've never seen, the message says "Mac OS X requires restarting other applications before they will use the new keyboard shortcut." That just means that you need to quit and restart any application that was running at the time you set the shortcut if you want to be able to use the shortcut in that application.

Yes, the shortcut should appear next to OmniFocus: Send to Inbox when viewing the Services section of the Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences. If OmniFocus: Send to Inbox appears in the list but without your shortcut, try unchecking, quitting System Preferences, and setting it again from within OmniFocus. If it still does not work, contact Omni's support group.
Hi, I have been seeing the same issue, and at least in my case the above is correct: it is merely the standard error message that tells you that the new shortcut won't work until you restart the other applications (i.e. whichever app you'd like to use the clipping in - e.g. Mail)

This error may suggest that part of OF thinks the new key assignment worked, as it ends up showing up just below the still empty field for setting that.

Finally, I was able to fix it by simply setting a key combo in System Preferences, rather than from OF's preferences window. Afterwards OF preferences does show the shortcut, and for now it works...

Thanks for delineating exactly where to find this in Syst. Prefs, by the way!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't assign clipping shortcut mitchellzone OmniFocus 1 for Mac 28 2011-05-02 09:56 PM
Clipping shortcut not working in Snow Leopard mmurray OmniFocus 1 for Mac 25 2011-02-28 07:45 PM
Behavior of mail clipping under Snow Leopard bradg OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2010-03-26 06:31 AM
Snow Leopard grangej OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2009-08-08 01:31 PM
iCal problems since upgrading to leopard rolivier79 iCal Sync 0 2007-12-20 05:57 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.