The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duplicate Tasks in Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone,

I have a project that has multiple recurring tasks. For some reason that I cannot figure out, some tasks are duplicating. Same month and date.

Each task is set to recur once a month on a set date. I've also noticed that some tasks are showing up in the project before the previous task has been completed.

For example, I have an AMEX bill due on the 8th of each month. The task for Oct 8 is displaying as it should be so is the Nov 8th task. I'm using the Availability Filter set to Remaining. This was working in the past but rather than rebuild the project, I'd like to see if the issue exists between the chair and the keyboard or if anyone else is seeing this...

It's happening on my iPad as well..

Last edited by bmushrush; 2012-09-21 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Attach Screenshot

Sorry for the trouble! When a repeating action is checked off on more than one device while they're out of sync, it produces the results you're seeing. This happens because each device makes a new "next" copy of the action, then inherits the one from the other device when they're brought back into sync. Any chance that's what is happening here?

Theoretically, we could prevent this by inspecting new actions during the sync process, but that would have the consequence of making all your syncs slower and take longer to complete. Thus far, we haven't wanted to take that performance hit.

If you'd like to minimize the chances of this happening, just go ahead and sync the device you're switching away from, then sync the device you're about to start using OmniFocus on. This ensures that your devices are always working with the most up-to-date info in your database and minimizes the chance of a situation like I described above.

Thanks Brian, that makes sense.