The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting up calendar alerts in OmniFocus for iPhone [Retired: use local notifications] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ah, I see! In that case, you will want to use the calendar export; settings are in the same location as the local notifications settings.

Now that I think of it, though, you'll want to make sure that iDisk or WebDAV sync is enabled in Settings, and then check the location I mentioned before. I think we hide the calendar export controls since they're not relevant when sync is turned off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryW View Post
When I managed to turn on the calendar feature I was thrilled. I could go into iCal and get a visual sense of things.
The OmniFocus Reminders calendar only is populated about 2 weeks out, so beware of looking too far into the future. Also, beware of repeating items, as they only show up for the first time, not the repeats!

Got it!! It was a bit hidden. I didn't find it in the place mentioned in the OP. I found it in the notifications as you mentioned.

And thanks for the warning about repeating items.

<scurries off to fix the first post, which pre-dates iOS 4>

Thanks!

every time i restart my ipad or iphone i need to reenter the login/pass for the calendar subscription on the sync server. why is that?

That's not something we've heard of before - that information is supposed to be stored in your keychain on the device and get re-used once you enter it. It sounds like that's not happening for some reason.

Huh - looks like the support ninjas were contacted by a customer having a problem like this earlier this week. It looks like that support ticket came in from a different email address than is tied to your forum account, so I'm guessing you're a different person.

I'm not sure this is a problem we will be able to fix directly, but we would like to investigate this with you; maybe between you and the other customer we can figure out what's going on here. Can you email the support ninjas? Thanks for the help!

Hi
I use OF on iPhone and when I enter items with due date more than two weeks in the future those entries do not get shared or pushed to internal calendar. The subscription process is working because all entries that I do that are less than two weeks in the future work fine. They show up in internal calendar fine. Is there a limit on how far in advance they show??

Thanks

Yeah, it only goes about 2 weeks in the future. The feature was intended for providing alerts for impending due items, not long-term calendar planning.

Okay, I'm feeling rather frustrated right now, so I apologize right off the bat if this post seems a bit angry. I just missed my first appointment because OmniFocus did not remind me of it.

I am a new OmniFocus for iPhone and iPad user. I do not have it for my desktop PC, since I am running Windows. (Thanks, by the way, for not taking advantage of millions of potential users by not having a Windows version.) After having read Getting Things Done twice, I decided that OmniFocus for my two iOS devices would be ideal. So I forked over the $70 to get them both.

I moved my existing system from "2Do" to OmniFocus. Granted, there were only a handful of items in there, as I have yet to dive headfirst into GTD, but a couple of simple reminders would be good enough to test out the software, right?

Apparently, I must be stupid because I cannot figure out how to get the app to actually remind me of appointments that I've entered into its system. I tell it I have a consultation appointment starting at 3:00pm today and it is due at 3:00pm today (I still don't understand why there's both a "Start" and a "Due" date/time. Aren't they the same thing?) and it does absolutely nothing to remind me of the appointment ahead of time, even though I told it 30 minutes in the settings of the app.

Searching online to find out how to get OmniFocus to actually remind me of my appointments came up with almost nothing; only this thread seems to be somewhat relevant, but then it says "Retired: Use Local Notifications". What the frell is that supposed to mean? What the frell are "Local Notifications"? Nothing I can find in OmniFocus. And if they are something separate from OmniFocus, such as iOS 5's "Reminders" app, then why the frell did I spend $70 on these apps if they aren't going to remind me of my appointments!?

I'm having to censor myself heavily here because I'm so frustrated. I'll stop now before I get too out of hand. Someone please tell me why I spent so much money on these apps only to find out that they don't notify me of anything.

Start dates and due dates in OF do entirely different things. Probably worth a read of the manual.

Note if you're using iOS that you have to enable an application to do notifications in Notification Center. Without that, you'll get no notifications. Have a look on your iPhone and iPad preferences under Preferences->Notification->Notification Center. If OmniFocus is at the bottom under "Not in Notification Center" you need to move it up.