The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

whither the "super spiffy bucket icon"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
MOTD alluded to a new place for singletons, but now that the downloads are working again and I can check it out, I don't see it. The preference pane lists "none" as the Default Singleton Project, and the pop-up list is otherwise empty.

select your 'singleton' project and check the "Contains singleton actions" checkbox in the inspector.

You have to create a new project and designate it a singleton project first. I just created a "Singletons" project and set it to "Contains singleton actions" in the Project inspector. Then you should be able to set it as the default singleton context.

Got it. Thanks.

I think I was hung up on the expectation that since there is no project then the spiffy new icon would be on par with the Inbox and the Projects and not appear as a project. Combine that with my failure to notice the new line in the Project inspector, I can see what happened. The later error is entirely my fault as an alpha tester, but I still worry about the logic of making the No-Project bucket look like a Project. So now I can have more than one non-project with lots of no-project actions in each one? Right, now that simplifies things immensely.

Personally, I don't use singletons because if there's no project, then I have to wonder why it's on my task list. But sometimes I do add tasks that have yet to be processed/realized but they have been moving out of the Inbox and were only visible in the Context view. I'm glad to have a way to cluster them in Project view so I can be as lazy as I want to be about assigning them to Projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Personally, I don't use singletons because if there's no project, then I have to wonder why it's on my task list.
I have three singleton buckets: singleton tasks, purchases, and coupons. I like to keep them separated into three conceptual groupings, but the items in each groups are not related to each other, other than categorically.

I like the bucket icon, and I like not having a "next action" marked.

I also converted two projects to singleton projects - however the daily readme suggests that if you make a default singleton project, all tasks in the inbox that have no project (but have a context) will default to that singleton project. My question is - what makes a default singleton project? Just having one defined??

(Oh, I could test this myself, but that would require me to change structures - important structures.)

Quote:
So now I can have more than one non-project with lots of no-project actions in each one? Right, now that simplifies things immensely.
It simplifies things for those who use folders for areas of responsibility and want to have separate singleton buckets for each of those areas of responsibility. At least at present, I'm one of them, though I don't really see a huge difference between having my own self-defined "miscellaneous tasks" project and the singleton bucket, other than the icon and lack of a next action.

Quote:
Personally, I don't use singletons because if there's no project, then I have to wonder why it's on my task list.
Different strokes--I have plenty of tasks that I think of that aren't projects but that I want to get into my trusted system so I can think about them later, when I have time. But maybe we have different notions of what constitutes a project.

Quote:
I'd contend that there are plenty of things that I need to do that are single physical actions and thus aren't a project in the GTD sense. Here are some examples from my list at the moment:

Wash car
Trim dead leaves from cyca in office
Make new in-car playlist for iPod

I don't really see how breaking these down any further (i.e. making them into a project) would help: for example, it doesn't make sense to have "wash car" as a project with "get out bucket, sponge and car shampoo", "Fill bucket with water" etc. as separate actions, because to accomplish the aim of washing the car effectively I need to do all those actions in one sitting and thus need to treat it as a single task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP View Post
You have to create a new project and designate it a singleton project first. I just created a "Singletons" project and set it to "Contains singleton actions" in the Project inspector. Then you should be able to set it as the default singleton context.
Oh. That's how you do it! Duhhh... anyone seen my brain?

I tend to put things like wash car and water plants in a Chores project and after the above discussions I now understand how having that kind of project be of the type which "contains singleton actions" does not promote one single next action. But let's say I'm working out of Context View and focusing on the House Context. If Chores is a singleton bucket, then no chores show up when the View Bar is set to show only Next Actions. Of course, I can see them when viewing Available actions, but then I'm faced with making some on-the-fly choices about what do do next, which in certain contexts is not the way I'd like to go (Chores might not be the best example here for view Next Actions vs. Available Actions, but I hope you get the idea).

The issue I'm hanging up on here is how some actions can become next actions and other won't and is that really useful for my GTD (which does not necessarily mean good for OF)?