The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Text Expander Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering what TextExpander can do for you on your iPhone/iPad nowadays?
I use TextExpander on the Mac but not on my iOS devices.
iOS has the functionality to manage own keyboard shortcuts. It cannot do Macros (Date, Time, Math etc.) but just the normal text expansions yes.

What exactly are you missing? Maybe I'm getting inspired to buy TE for iOS?

If you need a special symbol in a keyboard shortcut on the iPad and don't have a Bluetooth keyboard, you can create the symbol on your Mac, then put it on your iPad (through syncing a Note or Reminder for example) then just select and copy the symbol. You may also find the symbol as text on a website and copy from there. Then you paste the symbol when you create the shortcut.

I'm missing timestamps very much. That's the only reason for me but it's enough since I use timestamps extensively.

I would add that I very much liked the idea of using the exact same macro on both the Mac and iOS, for consistency. And the fact that TextExpander syncs via Dropbox makes this a breeze.

Given that I use OmniFocus a lot on the iPad too, having the TextExpander support in iOS would make things very similar to the Mac.

Thanks,

Luca

We've added support for TextExpander in today's update to OmniFocus for iPad (v1.6). Enjoy!

It helps to turn off Auto-Correction and Auto-Capitalization, else iOS may try to fix your TE abbreviations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've added support for TextExpander in today's update to OmniFocus for iPad (v1.6). Enjoy!
Simply - thank you. Amazing news,

D

At last. Thanks, OMNI

Hello

Having an issue setting up TE with OF for iPad and iPhone. I've activated "share snippets" but for some reason I can't find the OF setting. Am I correct that I don't need to cut n paste from TE into OF? Any help gratefully received.

I don't think there is any other configuration you need to do. After enabling in TE. Then try entering a snippet. If it doesn't work, try force closing both apps and try again.