The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iGTD to Omnifocus importer now has progress bar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have rebuilt the applet, and would be interested to know whether it now runs for those who were having difficulty.

just tried it and it worked great for me.

mt

BTW: Thanks!! made it very easy couple of clicks and good to go.

Good ! Thank you for the feedback.

Hello,

I've been tracking this app, and the script worked fairly well for me, but was slow (probably due to the amount of data I have in my iGTD database), and appeared to futz out after a few minutes or so. I was interested to see the author had created a newer more sophisticated version, but it has apparently disappeared from his site...?

Anybody know where it has gone, or might have a copy of the applet?

Thanks!
-ed

Last edited by edglazer; 2007-11-25 at 09:16 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglazer View Post
Hello,

I've been tracking this app, and the script worked fairly well for me, but was slow (probably due to the amount of data I have in my iGTD database), and appeared to crap out after a few minutes or so. I was interested to see the author had created a newer more sophisticated version, but it has apparently disappeared from his site...?

Anybody know where it has gone, or might have a copy of the applet?

Thanks!
-ed
When I click on the this link: http://web.mac.com/robinfrancistrew/...Omnifocus.html I can download the script just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglazer View Post
the script worked fairly well for me, but was slow (probably due to the amount of data I have in my iGTD database), and appeared to **** out after a few minutes or so
"Appeared" may be the key word here. The applescript interface to Omnifocus is irreducibly slow, and you will need more than a few minutes or so if there is a lot of data.

The other version has been broken by some Applescript changes - I will try to find time to mend it. Its only advantage is feedback on where the process has got to, which tends to prevent worried users from needlessly aborting after a few minutes.

I would suggest planning to leave it alone to cook for a good period of time while you read a book or have a meal :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
"Appeared" may be the key word here. The applescript interface to Omnifocus is irreducibly slow, and you will need more than a few minutes or so if there is a lot of data.
Part of the slowness here is probably that OmniFocus is very aggressive about preserving your data. Each modifying change invoked via AppleScript saves to disk in a transaction, and this can make this quite slow if you are doing a ton of operations all at once.

You can turn this behavior off by setting 'will autosave' on the document to 'false'. Once you are done with your bulk import, you should turn it back on.

OmniFocus currently won't turn this back on for you, so if you leave it off, the user's document will get marked dirty and no changes will be saved in it until they close it.

Thanks for this script! Works a treat. And now I have (somewhat sadly, but forging bravely ahead nonetheless) officially jumped ship from iGTD to Omnifocus.

In case this is helpful for anyone else: I had to move my iGTD data from an older laptop to a new one that did not have iGTD already installed on it. So I just created the iGTD folder in the Application Support directory on the new laptop and copied the iGTD.sql file there. I ran the script from Script Editor. I didn't see a progress bar but I just waited and eventually it finished. I had 280 tasks (with lots of long notes) in 42 projects in iGTD and it took just about 9 minutes to import it all into Omnifocus.

My setup: MacBook 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, OS 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
You can turn this behavior off by setting 'will autosave' on the document to 'false'. Once you are done with your bulk import, you should turn it back on.

OmniFocus currently won't turn this back on for you, so if you leave it off, the user's document will get marked dirty and no changes will be saved in it until they close it.
Thanks, Tim, that makes sense. My concern about implementing this is, however, that users will be left with a document marked 'dirty' if they abort the script before it has finished ...

Perhaps I will make this change if I resurrect the version with a progress bar.

Thanks, I'll give it another try and be more patient.

And thanks for the work on the script/app - it's well appreciated!