The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How I use OF in my law practice Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think of a daily planner in the simplest sense--a quick-reference list of tasks I need and/or want to get done today. As an aside, I've never been a fan of iCal, but it's a moot point since my law firm uses Outlook for calendaring and I need for others to be able to see my calendar on the network and vice versa. Using Outlook's calendar to manage this has worked OK since I can look at appointments, deadlines, and a list of my goals for the day at one glance. But using OF to highlight those tasks that are already in there for planning purposes might be a worthwhile adjustment to my process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pags View Post
As an aside, I've never been a fan of iCal, but it's a moot point since my law firm uses Outlook for calendaring and I need for others to be able to see my calendar on the network and vice versa.
If you don't have a preference for iCal, then these suggestions are probably not of much benefit. But I'll mention them anyway, just in case others might find it useful.

The Leopard version of iCal allows group sharing of calendars using CalDAV and other open protocols implemented on Apple's iCal Server and on a variety of opens source calendaring systems. I've never tried them myself, but they supposedly works well. Unfortunately, my office is also married to Exchange, Outlook, and Windows, and I doubt we'll ever switch. But I'm not particularly impressed with Outlook on Windows. :-(

But there are some tools available for syncing iCal with Outlook/Exchange too. Groupcal is one of them. And I vaguely remember hearing rumors of Apple finally adding Exchange support to iCal in the upcoming Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, rumored to be released sometime next year.

For sharing iCal calendars within a small office without the use of a server (Outlook or others), there's also a highly-regarded application called BusySync.

-Dennis