The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Law Practice using Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying out Omnifocus to organize my law practice for myself and one paralegal. I traditionally maintain a case list with tasks under each case. I am trying to sort out whether it is best to have the entire case list as one project (with each case as a task and sub-tasks under it) or to have each case as a project. It seems better to have each case as a project, since that is truer to how I work. However, westill need to be able to see a case list in alphabetical order separate from all other projects at a glance - would that be a context? Also, this will result in long list of projects - any down side to that. Appreciate any advice or experience.
Brandon

Hi,

I keep a solo law practice using OF. I have been keeping each case as a project.

If you have multiple stages to your cases, you might consider having each stage as a project and keep the projects in folders. That would have the benefit of making it easy to close out a lot of material when you move from one stage to the next, with the downside that it would be a little more involved structure-wise, and probably would interfere with getting a simple alphabetical case list.

If you keep each project to a case, you can sort alphabetically while in project mode by opening the view bar and clicking on the Name header. The projects will be sorted in the main view, not in the sidebar - keep that in mind.

You may want to put all of your case projects into a folder so that you can click on that folder (which will limit the view area to showing your cases) and then you can sort them in that view.

I’m really happy to see another lawyer. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Lucas.

Actually not sure what you mean by a "folder."

File → Add Folder will add folders to the sidebar that you can group projects in.

I am an attorney, and I use Omnifocus in my practice. There are a couple of threads involving the use of GTD in a law practice.

I will follow up with some posts.

I think the main benefit of GTD in a law practice is the use of outcome defined lists. I summarized this thought in a post on the GTD forums, with a reference to Omnifocus.

There is also an additional thread in the forums... GTD for Lawyers

I also find the Mac Lawyer useful...
How and Why a Lawyer Should Implement a GTD System

This book is a good read, for breaking down the GTD workflow with a legal practice. The only problem is the author is a bit smug, and calls David's "Horizons of Focus" and "Making It All Work" methodology "bulls**t".
http://6minuterule.com/