The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Leopard, Mail, OF & GTD - Best Practice? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, so now Leopard is out, OmniFocus works with it and it syncs to iCal/Mail.

Now I am lost as to how to best implement it.

- Should I build a calendar for each context and sync that way?
- Should I build smart folders in Mail to see them?
- Stay in iCal?

There are almost too many options. Crazy, I know.

Anyone come up with a good set up or something they want to share?

BZ

BZ- thanks for articulating this. I am in the same boat and anxiously wait a solution. OT- Leopard rocks!

I hadn't realized that Leopard Mail actually differentiates between todos created on my mac and todos created from specific imap accounts. I have about 5 e-mail accounts I manage via mail. I actually see huge benefits to managing things this way for managing staff, volunteer work I do, and other tasks. I'm very excited!

Update: So, this didn't work as planned. OmniFocus does not read Mail account dependent ToDos. So I cannot sync them in the preferences pane. Any chance this will be changed? Leopard Mail automatically creates separate folders for each account which is extremely useful to me for sorting within Mail itself. I'm not sure what OmniFocus would have to do to see these.

Last edited by seamusk; 2007-10-30 at 09:32 AM..

(disclaimer - still on Tiger)

I've got a separate calendar for each context, I think that makes it easier to manage. I only use these calendars for todos, everything else goes in either my Work or Home calendar.

I was hoping that in Leopard if you turn a mail message into a todo, for example, then assign it to a context calendar it should then sync back to OF and appear in that context: does that happen?

al_f -

yes, that happens. Except as noted above.

If I remember correctly, you can set-up in the preferences which calendar should host your to dos. I have over 140, and they are all in the mac, even though I have several email accounts for different types of work. I still consolidate the to dos, and when I send a mail out about any for them (i.e. a follow-up), then I use the email account that goes with it. Would this be a reasonable scenario?

Has anyone come up with a good system they want to publish? I am struggling on how best to keep everything together.

Of course, without any syncing to iPhone I am finding the whole thing lacking.

BZ

I'm working on the new quick start video now and will be doing some that detail best-practice mail-iCal-OF workflow. Once the Quickstart screencast is out then i'll get cracking on the rest :)