The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Linking Rows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I'm a newbie both to Mac (don't know applescript) and just bought OmniOutliner to organize some data as below. Looking though the documentation, I can't find a way to link rows. Is there a way to link rows so that any updates could be linked.
ie
Jones Family
--Bob Jones
----Children
------Bob Jones Jr.
------Jill Jones
----DOB
----Spouse
--Jill Jones
----Children
----DOB
----Spouse

The Jill Jones lines would be linked so that pulling down the Bob Jones>Children>Jill Jones would display the Jill Jones data from the 2nd entry.
Thanks for any help.
MJ

Essentially what you are trying to do is create a database, which is something altogether different than an outline. I would suggest you take a look at something like Filemaker Pro, which is probably the kind of tool you're looking for in this case.

Thanks,
I agree it's a minimal database. I've used Filemaker since version 3 and have found it a very functional and useful database but it wouldn't work well for this type of thing either. I liked version Filemaker v6 best. In version 7 their improvment tried to clone MS Access and Apple (Filemaker Co. is wholly owned by Apple) and the application's ease of use was lost. Omnigroup sent me this EMail below so hopefully 4.0 will come out soon
Thx, MJ

Hi M
Thanks for contacting us. As was posted on the forums in your thread, you're trying to create a database. OmniOutliner doesn't have a sense of viewing 'Jill Jones' data. However.. for 4.0, we should be implementing cloning which would allow you to have the same rows entered multiple times in the same outline and would automatically update all entries when one was modified. So, if you wanted to have all the Jill Jones data listed in both places, then it's kinda halfway what you're looking for.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
--
Derek M.
Support Engineer
The Omni Group