The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniDiskSweeper
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Finding duplicate files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have two 750GB drives in my old Power Mac G5 with both approaching 10% free space. On the second drive I have accumulated the contents of a succession of retired machines so it now has numerous duplicate files spread over various branches of the file system. I seem to remember using Norton Utilities (anybody remember those days) in my pre-Mac days to display just the files in a big long list without the path, so as to identify duplicate files.

Is there any way to make ODS perform a similar operation? Ideally, with all the duplicates grouped together, one could simply keep the newest file and eliminate the older ones. I assume some combination of ls options in terminal might do the job, but I haven't been able to figure that out either.

(Power Mac G5 2.7, 10.4.11, Mac mini 2.4 Intel 10.6.7)

Sorry, OmniDiskSweeper doesn't have a feature like this. It's something we discussed at various times, but didn't complete work on before development on the app was put on hold indefinitely.

We really want this feature in OmniDiskSweeper but it doesn't have a feature like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I have two 750GB drives in my old Power Mac G5 with both approaching 10% free space. On the second drive I have accumulated the contents of a succession of retired machines so it now has numerous duplicate files spread over various branches of the file system. I seem to remember using Norton Utilities (anybody remember those days) in my pre-Mac days to display just the files in a big long list without the path, so as to identify duplicate files.

Is there any way to make ODS perform a similar operation? Ideally, with all the duplicates grouped together, one could simply keep the newest file and eliminate the older ones. I assume some combination of ls options in terminal might do the job, but I haven't been able to figure that out either.

(Power Mac G5 2.7, 10.4.11, Mac mini 2.4 Intel 10.6.7)

Please let me know if this feature will be available in future versions

No plans for a feature like that in the foreseeable future, but myself and several other folks here use an app called Gemini that performs this function. Hope that helps!

I use this free tool to
Find Similar Documents
Give it a try...it provides impressively good results.