The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniDiskSweeper
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniDiskSweeper - "frees" up "inactive" memory Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I had Activity Monitor running and it was showing "inactive memory" at about 25% of RAM.

Then I kicked off OmniDiskSweeper and after a few seconds, the "inactive memory" became "free".

I am curious what OmniDiskSweeper does to do this? The only way I have seen this happen before is after a restart.

Thanks
Mark

Did the number get larger or smaller?

Inactive memory is memory that's sitting there idle. By firing up OmniDiskSweeper, more memory would be put into use, which I would expect would make the inactive memory number shrink. (By using up some of that free memory.)

Overall, the free memory slice increased and the inactive memory slice decreased.

And this is "Free" and "Inactive" as shown in Activity Monitor on the System Memory tab.

Interestingly, the same behaviour also happens when running SuperDuper!

Cheers
Mark