The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniDiskSweeper
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do Finder and OmniDiskSweeper disagree re: disk size/free space? [See thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I ran ODS on an ibook G4 and it identified 19 GB of data in use. However, finder shows 23 GB in use. Any idea why there is a difference? The ibook G4 was updated using migration assistant and populated with information from an older ibook.

I feel that I must have some duplicate files somewhere and I'm trying to locate them.

Thanks for any help.

Because ODS won't scan and calculate other user accounts (for obvious security reasons) unless you run it via the terminal (see here to find out how). I'm assuming you have another user account that takes up 4GB of space.

My "movies" directory says it is 34GB, but it is empty. ODS finds tons of "QSXXXXXXXXXXX" files, but there is no way to delete them.
What are they?
Do I need them?
How can I get my 34GB back?

Before I get too freaked out, I thought I'd start w/ what DiskSweeper actually finds, file and space wise.
I ran it on my G4, OS x 10.5.8, 60GB hard drive and it came up with results for 32.9 GB of files. That leaves 27+GB of unaccounted for space. Is this usual or should i be turning my machine off and burning it - as the bad guy have taken over?

I know, very brief, but it is a starting point as me hard drive seems to be being eatne alove and I can't find the culprit.

Thans
BL

Merging a couple of threads about this question and making the merged thread a sticky.

JKT's answer is spot on - OmniDiskSweeper can only see or delete files that the current user has access to, and it sounds like your user account doesn't have the proper permissions to see the other files on your hard drive.

Those files may be owned by other users, or may be owned by the system itself. (Since Apple wrote the code for the Finder, they trust it with information about your hard drive that they don't trust other applications with.)