The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't open database because of error msg Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Help!!

Having read, read and read about great benefits of OmniFocus on Mac and then seeing suture potential to link to a copy on my iphone I downloaded today.
All seemed well - entered a couple of bits and pieces and then shut it down to go to website to download "sneaky preview" or whatever its called to enable iphone sync.
Must have clicked away and agreed to everything on the 2nd download without registering what was going on but then I went to re-open OmniFocus and i keep getting a checkbox;
"OmniFocus could not read this database, because it is not in a known format. Perhaps it has been upgraded by a newer version of OmniFocus"
Eh??
What's going on - I only downloaded it 2 hours ago?

Can anyone help as I'm not the best person on computers......??

Many Thanks in Anticipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by privacy121 View Post
Help!!

Having read, read and read about great benefits of OmniFocus on Mac and then seeing suture potential to link to a copy on my iphone I downloaded today.
All seemed well - entered a couple of bits and pieces and then shut it down to go to website to download "sneaky preview" or whatever its called to enable iphone sync.
Must have clicked away and agreed to everything on the 2nd download without registering what was going on but then I went to re-open OmniFocus and i keep getting a checkbox;
"OmniFocus could not read this database, because it is not in a known format. Perhaps it has been upgraded by a newer version of OmniFocus"
Eh??
What's going on - I only downloaded it 2 hours ago?

Can anyone help as I'm not the best person on computers......??

Many Thanks in Anticipation
You've launched the old, pre-sneaky-peek version again after using the sneaky peek version. Don't do that :-)

Throw any and all copies of the OmniFocus application you can find in the trash, then download the Sneaky Peek version again, install it in the Applications folder and you should be ready to go.

hi,

thanks for taking the time to try and help me - not really up to date with all this!!!!!

to run through again; i hit the purple download button first on the main omnifocus website marked 1.0.3 and dragged it onto the applications folder once downloaded

then, afterwards i downloaded omnifocus 1.1 sneakypeek - the one at the top of the list hence assuming latest?

finally i went to re-open omnifocus from within applications on my mac and thats when it came up with the error msg i quoted in my original post

so can you still help me out and advise me? i've trashed omnifocus from my applications folder and have emptied the trash! can you list me an idiot guide to 1) download omnifocus and then 2) tell me what to do to be able to sync it with my iphone (i do have a mobileme acc)

many 1000's of thanks

d

Quote:
Originally Posted by privacy121 View Post
hi,

thanks for taking the time to try and help me - not really up to date with all this!!!!!

to run through again; i hit the purple download button first on the main omnifocus website marked 1.0.3 and dragged it onto the applications folder once downloaded

then, afterwards i downloaded omnifocus 1.1 sneakypeek - the one at the top of the list hence assuming latest?

finally i went to re-open omnifocus from within applications on my mac and thats when it came up with the error msg i quoted in my original post

so can you still help me out and advise me? i've trashed omnifocus from my applications folder and have emptied the trash! can you list me an idiot guide to 1) download omnifocus and then 2) tell me what to do to be able to sync it with my iphone (i do have a mobileme acc)

many 1000's of thanks

d
Yeah, it sounds like you maybe didn't drag the sneaky peek version into your Applications folder, but simply launched it. That would get you all the same results. I wonder if perhaps you did try to drag it to your Applications folder but missed and got it in whatever folder is above (or below) the Applications folder in your Finder sidebar? You can check that possibility out at your leisure.

You've demonstrated that you can do just about everything necessary to get this running, don't worry :-)

1) go trash the copy of OmniFocus in the Applications folder
2) download a fresh copy of the Sneaky Peek and put it in the Applications folder
3) select the copy of OmniFocus in the Applications folder and do File->Get Info to check the version. If you don't see the string "sneakypeek" in the version (in the General section, you might have to click the little triangle next to "General" to see it) then something has gone amiss. Go back to step 1. Otherwise
4) launch the copy of OmniFocus in the Applications folder
5) do File->Preferences, select the Sync tab, and click the MobileMe button. Press the Sync Now button and verify that it is successful. If it is, great, go on to the next step, otherwise make sure you have MobileMe configured in the .Mac or MobileMe preference pane in System Preferences and try again. If that still doesn't work, post back here or send email to urgent@omnigroup.com
6) now you need to configure the iPhone. I'm going to assume that your Mac is where you've been keeping your data, and you don't have any on the iPhone that needs to be kept. In the Sync preference pane (where you just were) there are two buttons down at the bottom for getting the necessary settings over to the iPhone. Pick one and try it. If it doesn't work, try the other. When the settings are set, tell the iPhone to do a sync and make sure your data came over. Make a change on the phone, have it do a sync, have the Mac do a sync, and make sure that change got back to the Mac. You should be all set!

fantastic, fantastic and fantastic!!

all up & running!! thank you for taking the time to help & advise - much appreciated

now just got to start utilising it and making it work for me.......

nb i did all the above on my mac pro and obviously synced with iphone but...................the mac pro is effectively a desktop machine as hooked up to apple's 30" monitor (awesome by the way!) and i wander round the house with a macbook - is it possible to also sync my macbook into the equation??

once again a 1000 thanks

d