The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Replace your Database and start syncing? after 1.7.4 update Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

Just updated my Mac Omnifocus software to 1.7.4. When I wanted to sync my iPhone via MobileMe it gives me the following message (on the phone):

"Replace your Database and start syncing?

The database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database. Which would you like to keep?

1) Keep Device Database
2) Keep Sync Database"

The question is now - which one do I chose? I have no idea which one I updated last, and most likely there are some mobile entries there I didn't sync yet with my mac and vica versa - so inevitably this will lead to data loss, if this is the case?!

What shall I do to avoid losing any entries, and which option shall I select? 1) or 2)?

Robert

Robert,

I'm not sure what the right answer is in your case. I'd encourage you to contact the support ninjas. You can use Help → Send Feedback in the desktop app., or you can check the Omni Group homepage for the phone number and give them a call.

I saw a similar message in the last week, but was lucky and knew I didn't have any fresh changes on the phone. Good luck!

Curt

Hi Curt,

Thanks for the tip. I've just sent feedback - let's see what they say.

Robert

I had this happen too. Reverted to sync db; was pretty sure I hadn't monkeyed with the iPhone in that period.

If anyone's waiting for a solution here - I got a very quick reply from the support ninjas:

"The first step in resolving this would be to connect your iPhone to your Mac and backup your iPhone via iTunes.

Then, open this link in Mobile Safari on your iPhone: <http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/DebugOmniFocus/EmailDatabase.html>

This will allow you to email your OmniFocus for iPhone database, either to yourself or to us. Then, you'll want to sync OmniFocus for iPhone to the server copy. Meanwhile, if you emailed your iPhone database to yourself, you can actually open it on your Mac and compare your two databases.

If you'd prefer to have us fix this, and you don't mind sending us all the databases, we'd be happy to see what we can do to merge them for you. The sync database is a folder named "OmniFocus.ofocus" on your WebDAV server."

Robert

I experience this behaviour way to often. Tried switching from bonjour to a solution with a webdav server, same problems. Unfortunately it's not straightforward to sync by hand, with the very cryptic file format.

Is this going to be fixed soon or will I have to keep up with it / find a different solution? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

But I really don't have the time to spend 3 hours every week trying to manually find out what tasks I entered into whcih of my two computers.

Thanks for your insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post
This will allow you to email your OmniFocus for iPhone database, either to yourself or to us. Then, you'll want to sync OmniFocus for iPhone to the server copy. Meanwhile, if you emailed your iPhone database to yourself, you can actually open it on your Mac and compare your two databases.

Robert
How do i compare OmniFocus databases?

Thanks,
Scott