The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Blocking a specific cookie Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's a web site for which I'd like OmniWeb always to reject a cookie of a specific name while nevertheless accepting any other cookies.

Is there any way to accomplish this (e.g., by editing the Cookies.xml file)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Chrysostom
There's a web site for which I'd like OmniWeb always to reject a cookie of a specific name while nevertheless accepting any other cookies.

Is there any way to accomplish this (e.g., by editing the Cookies.xml file)?
I'd imagine just clicking the Site Preferences icon in the toolbar would be sufficient. Click the Security tab and turn adjust how you want to handle cookies for the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
I'd imagine just clicking the Site Preferences icon in the toolbar would be sufficient. Click the Security tab and turn adjust how you want to handle cookies for the site
I might be overlooking something obvious, but the Site Preferences only seem to allow the rejection of either all cookies or none at all.

What I'd like is for OmniWeb to reject any cookie of a certain name, while still allowing others.

Quote:
I might be overlooking something obvious, but the Site Preferences only seem to allow the rejection of either all cookies or none at all.

What I'd like is for OmniWeb to reject any cookie of a certain name, while still allowing others.
I'm pretty sure that cookie control in Site Preferences is for only that site.

From OmniWeb Help:

Quote:
You can adjust how OmniWeb handles cookies in general using the Security preference pane in OmniWeb preferences. You can also set cookie preferences on a site-specific basis using Site Preferences.

Quote:
If you open the Cookie Sheet (by clicking on the Cookie icon in the status bar at the bottom), you can select a cookie and change its status to Rejected.

P.S. — You can also get to a complete list of cookies by clicking on the Show Cookies button in Security Preferences.

You could also use the ad block setting "From blocked URLs" to block all content from a particular domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
If you open the Cookie Sheet (by clicking on the Cookie icon in the status bar at the bottom), you can select a cookie and change its status to Rejected.
I've tried this, but every time the page is loaded, the cookie with "rejected" status is simply replaced by a new one of the same name. They aren't automatically blocked.

Does adding the domain you'd like to prevent cookies from to the ad block list work? Click on the ad blocking site preference pane. Enable the setting "From blocked URLs". Click on the "Edit Blocked URLs" button. add the domain to be blocked to the top field like so: "troubledomain\.com" be sure you include the backslash but remove the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Does adding the domain you'd like to prevent cookies from to the ad block list work? Click on the ad blocking site preference pane. Enable the setting "From blocked URLs". Click on the "Edit Blocked URLs" button. add the domain to be blocked to the top field like so: "troubledomain\.com" be sure you include the backslash but remove the quotes.
Unfortunately that won't work because there are other cookies from the same domain that I need to receive -- the goal is just to block one of them.