The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus and Managing my References and file system Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love using OmniFocus to help me get stuff done, and I've been on a quest to find a good way to manage my References and organize my File System a bit better. I've tried TAGS from Gravity Apps and DevonThink, but recently, I've discovered Leap and Yep. The Tagging system uses OpenMeta, so a single Tag works in both apps, which I find to be nice.

I love how fast and fluid Leap is at looking @ my File structure and how it allows me to manage things via Tags and such.

Anyway, I thought you guys might like to check it out to see if it might fit into your GTD workflows.

If you use Tags, Yojimbo, DevonThink or any of the various other "Everything Box" apps, you might enjoy Leap. So far it's fitting in nicely with my OmniFocus workflow.

Have a look:
http://www.ironicsoftware.com/leap/index.html

Would you mind elaborating a bit on your system and how you use it in conjunction with OF. Thanks.

I generally assign Tags to files which relate to my Projects or contexts I've generated in Omnifocus.

It's especially nice for Reference Material as I don't have to worry about where it lives since it's Tagged appropriately.

Yes, I too am using tags. I tag photos with certain tags and i would love to tag projects and tasks too.

Another Task app i have used in the the past support OPENMETA tags.

I even tag mails with tags.

I recall a thread about using tags, any ideas on the implementation?

For me, a universal tagging system would be the holy grail. If there were a way for me to tag files with the same tags used for tasks/projects/perspectives/contexts, I would have a much better handle on what supporting information/related information I need to be mindful of when I view a particular element of OF. If the same tagging system could be used for email and calendaring then I'll know I am chilling in Valhala. I know that OF integrates with an add-on tagging system for Mail, but could that tagging system be integrated with TagIt? What about the Calendar?

Thanks!

I think that is the desire and dream of apps which use OpenMeta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
I think that is the desire and dream of apps which use OpenMeta...
So in your system, do you somehow have tags common to your files and OF entries (the OF projects to which the files relate - being the projets' supporting materials)?

In case anyone here is using HoudahSpot, I recently adapted Jim Harrison's "Project Notes" AppleScript to create a "Project Search" script. The script makes a Finder folder hierarchy corresponding to the OmniFocus folder hierarchy of the first selected project, then creates a HoudahSpot saved search file there for an OpenMeta tag corresponding to the name of the project.

To assign tags to files, you can use HoudahSpot, the free Tagit or any of several other free or paid OpenMeta tagging applications. There's even a command-line tool, which can also be called in AppleScript.
Attached Files
File Type: applescript Project Search.applescript (8.2 KB, 621 views)

I use wordpress to manage nonactionable items. Categorization, tagging, attachments, available anywhere from the laptop, office PC, iphone. Can be made available to anyone, or kept to myself.