The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sort filter does nothing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am running the latest beta (1.0 version 54.0.95671). When I display a list (e.g., my projects) and click on any choice under the Sort filter, none of the selections make any difference. Nothing gets re-sorted. Is this a bug? Is it only meant to work in a special circumstance? If the latter, shouldn't it at least be grayed out?
Nestor

Sort works for me.

In planning mode: Example -
I click in the Projects panel, on some folder containing many projects. In the main panel, unsorted just lists the projects in original order. If I click on the "Unsorted" bar and choose Name, all the projects are reordered alphabetically. Doesn't this work for you? If not, you'll have to describe what's in your window in detail and what settings you have set.

You described the same scenario I have used, but the sort does nothing. And I've just upgraded to the latest version. Not sure what settings you're referring to: the preferences don't have any items related to the bar that I can see.

in your toolbar --- you should have a pair of glasses and 'view'
under it

if not add that from your 'customize toolbar' view an icon or 'view' from your menubar at the top of the screen

I have the View icon. That's what I used to display all of the filters (Ungrouped, Unsorted, etc.) What I'm saying is the second icon (that contains the sorting options) DOES NOTHING.

Grouping takes precedence over sorting. If you switch to ungrouped, does sorting work? Also, in planning mode, the sorting is just for the projects themselves, not the actions within.

Curt

Thanks, Curt. I realize I was looking for it to sort my tasks by Name. It works correctly for project names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorph View Post
I have the View icon. That's what I used to display all of the filters (Ungrouped, Unsorted, etc.) What I'm saying is the second icon (that contains the sorting options) DOES NOTHING.

what does that icon look like, maybe (if it works) it is something I would like ;-)

Everyone, repeat after me: "In Planning mode, Grouping and Sorting works on Projects. In Context mode, Grouping and Sorting works on Actions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Everyone, repeat after me: "In Planning mode, Grouping and Sorting works on Projects. In Context mode, Grouping and Sorting works on Actions."
Thanks for that tip, Brian.

So, if we say this mantra enough, will it make us forget to request that we maybe should be able to sort actions in Planning mode?

OmniFocus should work for those who are not yet fully versed in GTD methodology, if not allow people to do things more "their own way."

What about the situation where you are entering in a ton of actions, before you know which context or project to assign them to... and, what if you haven't already created your projects and contexts... shouldn't one be able to "review" the "brain dump" list first, sorting as needed?