The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AppleScript to query the user data key/value pairs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've been working on a script to write values into the key/value user data dictionary available with shapes in the Pro version of OmniGraffle.

The syntax to do this is:

Code:
make new shape with properties {text:"My Shape", url:"http://...", user data:{myKey:"myData"}…
Whilst I can get this data into OmniGraffle so that I can see it in the interface I can't get my head around how to construct a way of getting at them.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

set myShapes to shapes of canvas of front window whose myKey is "myData"

I get all sorts of errors about how it can't find/coerce etc. I know it has to be my limited ability to construct the right argument.

I can get the dictionary out with the following script:

Code:
tell application "OmniGraffle Professional 5"
	user data of graphic id 3 of canvas id 1 of document "Untitled" of application "OmniGraffle Professional 5"
end tell
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Alan

I managed to find a solution should anybody else try scripting with the key/value user data dictionary.

The following script fragment generates a list of shapes with the key/value pair of aURLkey and "Hello".

Code:
	set matchingShapes to shapes of canvas of front window whose value of user data item "aURLkey" is "Hello"
end tell
Hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by apl View Post
I managed to find a solution should anybody else try scripting with the key/value user data dictionary.

The following script fragment generates a list of shapes with the key/value pair of aURLkey and "Hello".

Code:
	set matchingShapes to shapes of canvas of front window whose value of user data item "aURLkey" is "Hello"
end tell
Hope it helps
Yes it does - many thanks, I have been struggling to discover the syntax to write to a user defined key value pair and your code snip was a great help. My aim is to add user key pairs to existing shapes but to edit the data in a predefined shape I'm using:
Code:
tell myGraphic
set the value of user data item "MyKey" to "Some Data"
end tell
Thanks
Simon